heater hoses - did I goof up?

tbird88

Disconnected the heater core hoses on my '94 5spd and capped off the outlets on the intake (at the ECT) and water pump. Now she tends to wanna run hot. Rodded the radiator as a preventive measure, no help.
Odd thing I notice now is the Temp gauge wants to act buggy under hard acceleration, dips down somewhat quick, then goes back up when I let off the loud pedal. Think I mighta messed up concernin' the water that's supposed to be flowing past the ECT? Might route a temporary hose from the capped connections and see if that makes a difference but thought I'd try the question here anyway.

'bird

What about running a smaller hose between where the two capped ends are located? maybe there's something in the way the flow operates in the pump, and you disturbed it slightly??

My temp gauge does that as well. I believe that the sensor for the gauge is on the driver side of the engine towards the front. I know that my connection is iffy and needs to be redone. There's a large amount of bare wire and during hard acceleration I am guessing that it contacts some other metal on the engine and grounds, causing the gauge signal to go to zero.

Then again, I could be way off and there could be bubbles or something in the system that are created under hard acceleration and allow the sensor to cool or something. Someone with more experience than I have should come up with a more informed answer.

Yea. A certain amount of coolant is designed to constantly move through the heater core. It won't provide significant cooling, but not having the coolant path there could upset the apple cart a bit.. you also want coolant moving past the ECT which sits up top, not sitting there stagnant.
I'd loop a hose from the outlet back to the oil pump cooler inlet.. thats the simplest way to get it moving again. And it also will help regulate your oil temps. ;)

TbirdSCFan said:
Yea. A certain amount of coolant is designed to constantly move through the heater core. It won't provide significant cooling, but not having the coolant path there could upset the apple cart a bit.. you also want coolant moving past the ECT which sits up top, not sitting there stagnant.
I'd loop a hose from the outlet back to the oil pump cooler inlet.. thats the simplest way to get it moving again. And it also will help regulate your oil temps. ;)
Yep, gonna route that hose and see what happens.

update - Noticed that when I turn the A/C on that the Temp gauge moves up a notch, turn it off and the needle stays there, haven't waited to see how long though. Think I might have a ground problem too?

'bird

Back