JBL Audio Episode 2

jbowman55

What's the most likely culprit to cause neither rear interior speaker to be working? We just installed an eBay AM/FM cassette unit to replace a dead AM/FM CD, head unit we just installed was one of the factory options and all the connections were the same as the original unit. Wiring between the interior speakers and trunk amp does not appear to have been disturbed. Rear speaker covers are intact and do not appear to have been removed. Do I have dead channels in my amp? How can I tell?

Appreciate any help, and thanks,

Jane

original unit

No, I mean really, really dead. It would light up when the headlights were turned on (buttons illuminated), but that's it. Buttons were unresponsive, and three times I saw the word "BAD" displayed on the screen. That's all I ever saw it do.

The unit we've put in now plays, tunes in stations and such, just no sound from rear speakers inside the car. The sub is missing, and I'm working on finding one, but for now I have nothing but front speakers. Sounds wretched.

Search for Paul Protos he is the club member who rebuilds the audio system here.

I know this sound strange but if your radio/cassette player works, and there are still audio/channel problems, the problem is the in CD player.

The radio plays through the CD player. It is the CD player that messes up the audio from the radio. To CHECK this you can get a plug that goes where the CD player goes in the radio. This is a plug used to bypass's the CD player.
I think you can get the plug from FORD or a car audio shop.

sorry, guess I wasn't clear...

sail7seas said:
Search for Paul Protos he is the club member who rebuilds the audio system here.

I know this sound strange but if your radio/cassette player works, and there are still audio/channel problems, the problem is the in CD player.

The radio plays through the CD player. It is the CD player that messes up the audio from the radio. To CHECK this you can get a plug that goes where the CD player goes in the radio. This is a plug used to bypass's the CD player.
I think you can get the plug from FORD or a car audio shop.

The unit we removed was one unit that contained AM/FM and CD. The car doesn't have the separate CD player that was available as part of the JBL system. It may not have been original to the car, but appeared to be. Audio pieces and parts in the car right now are the AM/FM cassette, the four interior speakers, and two amps in the trunk.

I think the CD "port" on the back of the AM/FM cassette unit is plugged, like you said it should be.

that is ruff, I ran into a similar problem this weekend , I have a 90 anniversary edition with the cd player, I replaced the stock head unit(tape player )to a identical one from a 92 SC , same model number etc etc .

When I plugged every thing in I would get no sound only static and radio appeared to work and so did the tape, then after 30 second it would give me a garbage message on it.

After cursing at it for a while, I unplugged the cd-player plug in(six pin harness) and it worked like a charm minus the cd-player funcationality.

Hopefully this will be helpful.

Back