Who knows their FE blocks and their manual trannys???

sizemoremk

I may have an opportunity to purchase a 390 from a 66 Tbird, which had 9.5:1 compression that year and advertised 315 HP and 427 ft lbs of torque.

Anywho, I feel like this ma be a good upgrade to the old 73 F100 240 inline six that is in there now.

The problem is, I have a 3 speed on the tree, and want to keep it. I can't find much info on what model of tranny is used with the 73F100 240 inline engine, as opposed to the FE blocks.

I am curious if the flywheel may be the same, and if all I might have to change is the bellhousing?

Anyone know about these FEs and their old trannies?

I am fairly shure you will need a different flywheel. I KNOW you will need a different bellhousing. There should be loads of these available out there, you just gotta find 'em.

Way More!

You'll have to change the flywheel, bellhousing, tranni, motor mounts, radiator, all the accessories, and stab it in at least 5 times to locate the new mountings. Probably have to re-do the driveshaft(s), too. 4WD, or not? If so, then you got 2 driveshafts to consider. It's gonna be a job, experience speaking, but that years a good one and worth the effort...

Thanks, I was just told that my current tranny has a different length in the 6 and 8 cylinder versions. Another guy just told me they were the same???

If I could keep my 3 speed and do it I would go ahead with it, then maybe later swap to a C6...

It doesn't look good right now....

Back