Tuning question

Slysc

I have an EEC tuner and I have been told that the SCT racer package or a chip would be able to do much more than the tuner.

With my tuner I can tune the air/fuel mixture, spark advance, fan on and off, rev. limiter, idle speed, etc.

What could I tune with a SCT racer package, that I can't tune with my tuner?

I'm probably over simplistic but if the air/fuel mix is right and the timing is right, what else is there that is going to effect power?

Slysc said:
I have an EEC tuner and I have been told that the SCT racer package or a chip would be able to do much more than the tuner.

With my tuner I can tune the air/fuel mixture, spark advance, fan on and off, rev. limiter, idle speed, etc.

What could I tune with a SCT racer package, that I can't tune with my tuner?

I'm probably over simplistic but if the air/fuel mix is right and the timing is right, what else is there that is going to effect power?

Nothing. If you don't do much other than race the car then the EEC Tuner will work ok. PITA to use, but it works ok. It's like porting heads with a dremel. It works, but there are better tools. ;)

Dave,

Thanks for the clarification. I have been told that I could do much more with a SCT racer package so I was wondering. If I thought I would get more power out of tuning with a different package, I would consider it. But if I can keep my setup and still get the right tune and the same power, I will. Besides, when have I ever passed up on the opportunity to do something the hard way? :D

I didn't really clarify anything. All I said is that there is more than one way to tune a car and more than one way to make HP. Jim Demmit and Kevin Leitem, two of the fastest SC's we know of did not use any tuning devices whatsoever.

Tuning devices do not make HP.

Being able to alter AF ratio, load calculations, change timing tables, renormalize your base fuel table, etc in 30 seconds or less without second guessing exactly what you have done is what the SCT software is all about.

Much as Jim would like to think that the EEC Tuner was going to take his car into the 11.60's the truth is it probably would have been a step backward.

For me it went from wondering if I had my MAF table right to being able to make small percentage changes with confidence in 30 seconds or less. That is what did it for me.

Yes the SCT stuff is much better. However, it's still just a tuning device.

Back