MSD Ignition Control Box

Scott Long

Any gain to be had from installing one of these on a distributorless ignition? I know on the 5.0L Mustang guys use them to get more spark and also run a blaster coil. I was working on my friends Z28 this weekend and he had the msd box and blaster coil and it wired up between the stock wiring and the coil. The car had the opti-spark ignition and no cam/crank sensors.

I know they make one for DIS systems so I was wondering if any of you guys are running the MSD?

6211.gif

Last edited:
Msd

I had this unit, it failed a few times and I disconnected it. Stock supplies enough spark as there was no improvement on dyno. IMO

I'll end up getting one soon, only because I want the two step...i could care less for the spark. Too bad I cant just install a two step........... :(

i have em on both cars, power wise it doesn't help too much, but both cars
gained fuel mileage which was the big thing for me since gas prices are on the
expensive side now a days.

Gas mileage is a good thing.

What model number did you end up buying? 2 or 4 channel? Also do you utilize the two step with a switch? That'd be fun to put a momentary switch on it, hit it, floor it, tach bouncing at set RPM, drop clutch, let off switch, and hang on. Could help for bracket racing and being consistant. Also you can toy around with launch RPM and see what yields the best results and then use it to get the best times every time you race.

How does it hook in? Between the DIS module and the coil pack right?

To wire up a two step on a 5 speed car, there is a right way and a wrong way. The correct way to do it is to wire everything up on a relay using your clutch switch. If it was wired just up to the clutch switch, the two step would turn on when the clutch is depressed, and shut off when its released, however, it would also turn on in between gear shifting, which is not good. In order to do everything correctly, you wire it up using a simple relay. In order for the two step to work, you will need two buttons, and in order for the feature to work both switches need to be depressed. So at the starting line you will have the clutch in and a line lock button. When the light goes green just dump the clutch and the system will turn off. Then while shifting, nothing will be effected. Also, while in the burnout box, nothing will be effected since only the linelock will be depressed. I've seen a few people wire them up this way and it works flawlessly.

Personally, I'd only get one in order to use the two step feature, everything else isn't needed on the SC ignition. But for over $400, it gets really pricey.

As for wiring, I believe its wired up inline between the coil pack.

I had the DIS-4 on my '90 auto not any noticeable power improvements gas was a marginal improvement. I think there is an adapter that just plugs inbetween the DIS and the MSD box but I cant remember. The great thing is it will also retard your ignition I think.

I Like Mine!!!!

I put one on my '94. Have not seen any benefit but of course my '94 was and is running so bad that I do not expect to see any benefit until I find the silver bullet that fixes the rough idle and no acceleration problem. It certainly did not hurt it. You need the MSD DIS-4 (62152) ($400) and you need 2 tach adapters (8912) ($55 each). They ain't cheap!!!!! You only use 3 of the four channels. Read the directions CAREFULLY! Space is hard to find to mount it. I put mine under the K&N where the old air box use to be. That works great since you need to splice into the wire harness that runs from the ICM to the coil pak. I put one in my Scarab on the 454 and it made a noticeable difference. It idles smoother, burns less gas (have fuel flow guage installed) and starts easier. Also, I see those guys on Sunday making all of those left hand turns with 2 MSD boxes on the dash. That tells me something. Just my 2 cents worth!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, UD Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36 lbs Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, Accel 36# injectors, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, MSD DIS-4 Ignition Box with Tach Adapters, Royal Purple Lubricants, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

Back