Frame help for my beloved 92 SC!

Northwoods SC

Have an important question for you all regarding frame rust and possible repairs for my 92. I have had it all its life and drove it through a few Michigan winters years ago (I know, the kiss of death...). After having it put on the rack recently, a mechanic pointed out areas of rust on the frame in the rear (in the rocker panels in front of the rear wheels). The rockers are eaten away at points and there is evidence of rust damage on some of the suspension parts. A few people who don't value our cars as highly as we do suggested not to put anymore money into it. I hate to give up on her!

My question is what can be done to save the frame, either through replaceable frame parts or other types of frame repair. Are those fixes safe and sturdy? I know there are sub frames on our cars and have heard of 3rd party frame parts for others.

Does it make more sense ($$) to stop chasing rust and transfer engine/trans into a rust free chassis from the south? Don't have tons of money now, but WILL keep this car and the new engine I recently put in her for a future restoration and rebirth. I'd love to give my 9 month old son a ride in her in ten/twenty years. I'd appreciate all advice for the best solution. Thanks.

P.S. I'll try and post pictures when I take it back to the shop and get her on the rack. Anyone have a diagram of the frame components of these cars?

I think you can still get all the body parts from Ford. Visit www.fordpartsonline.com and search their collision repair parts catalog. Once you find the part you want and prices are displayed, a button reading "View Illus." should appear next to the price. Click that and you will see some pretty good diagrams. Not all parts have pictures, however.

As to which route you want to go, it's your call. I think the costs for labor and painting will far eclipse the parts costs for this type of repair. You should probably get an estimate from a good body shop. Then you can better decide what to do. Maybe you can even fix areas of surface rust yourself or take the subframe to a powdercoater yourself and save some money. Bear in mind that any new car you buy will end up with some rust in a few years, and then you will have the same dilemma.

I hope things go well. Congratulations on your new son!!!

Northwoods SC said:
Have an important question for you all regarding frame rust and possible repairs for my 92. I have had it all its life and drove it through a few Michigan winters years ago (I know, the kiss of death...). After having it put on the rack recently, a mechanic pointed out areas of rust on the frame in the rear (in the rocker panels in front of the rear wheels). The rockers are eaten away at points and there is evidence of rust damage on some of the suspension parts. A few people who don't value our cars as highly as we do suggested not to put anymore money into it. I hate to give up on her!

My question is what can be done to save the frame, either through replaceable frame parts or other types of frame repair. Are those fixes safe and sturdy? I know there are sub frames on our cars and have heard of 3rd party frame parts for others.

Does it make more sense ($$) to stop chasing rust and transfer engine/trans into a rust free chassis from the south? Don't have tons of money now, but WILL keep this car and the new engine I recently put in her for a future restoration and rebirth. I'd love to give my 9 month old son a ride in her in ten/twenty years. I'd appreciate all advice for the best solution. Thanks.

P.S. I'll try and post pictures when I take it back to the shop and get her on the rack. Anyone have a diagram of the frame components of these cars?

I had the same problem on both sides of my 93. I was preparing to start my paint job and both sides were totally ate up. I am a welder and steel fabricator so for me I just made up pieces to replace the rusted out area and bought a panel for the one side from a junked out T bird and made my own panel for the other side. The reason it rusted out was the drain tubes from the moon roof drain there. I just finished painting my car and it is beautiful. I would not agree with some people to get rid of it if you really love the car. It took me about 12 to 15 hours to replace both sides with good metal. It never hurts to get an estimate. I posted pictures up on a thread. Go to search at the top of the forum page and type in misengineered. It should pull up pictures of my car. Good luck

Ken

Thanks for your help, guys! The moonroof drain damage you spoke about sounds like it's the exact area on mine. The people who have looked at it (one on the lift, two on the ground) have said that it's a bad sign. I suppose they thought it was spread all over the car. But, if it's isolated to just that area, I'm a happy guy. I'll know more of Tuesday when I finally can get it in to a trusted body guy I know. I'll take some pics of the whole undercarriage.

What has anyone done to treat or rustproof there cars underneath? Can it be done at home (without lift)? How about a car that is 13 years old and has been a daily driver in Michigan?

Back