Need help with electrical problem

tbird1966sb

Electrical problem as follows: sporadically yellow anti-lock brake warning light and red brake warning light will come on and stay on. Mostly when starting car. when these are on I have no turn signals and ac/heater-auto climate type doesnot have juice. I believe all other electrical stuff working. most recent same thing happened and additionally I could not depress the brake pedal. Had to be towed. Any ideas to help mechanics to solve problem? thanks.

It is probably a relay mounted on the fire wall directly above the air conditioning accumulator.On my 89SC there are two relays mounted there. I think it is the one on the right as you look from the front. This relay provides 12 volts to the pump that pressurizes the brake system accumulator.If this pump doesn't keep the accumulator charged up you will have no brakes. It will be like, you can't stop you car with both feet on the pedal! It is normal for this pump to run when you start your car.(The 2 lights come on for about 10 or 15 seconds).This relay can cause intermittant problems until it finally stops operating alltogether. The relay is available from Ford for about $25, and plugs into a socket at the above mentioned location on the fire wall. Good luck!

tbird1966sb said:
Electrical problem as follows: sporadically yellow anti-lock brake warning light and red brake warning light will come on and stay on. Mostly when starting car. when these are on I have no turn signals and ac/heater-auto climate type doesnot have juice. I believe all other electrical stuff working. most recent same thing happened and additionally I could not depress the brake pedal. Had to be towed. Any ideas to help mechanics to solve problem? thanks.

Pull the steering column cover off and check your ignition switch. I suspect your switch is seperating, not allowing contact to the accessory side of the switch. I've experienced this problem on several Ford products over the years. Just replaced the switch to my 91SC because of the same symptoms you have discribed :D

I agree with Cobra85. I just had the same problems a few months back after messing with the MFS. Unfortunately, I had the joy of losing the power brakes coming down a steep hill.... that'll wake you up pretty fast! :)

Brake warning lights

I agree, it's the ignition switch. Ford's solution was to replace my anti-lock system to the tune of $3000+. Luckily told them to take a flying leap.
Got it fixed at a local Auto Electric shop for about a hundred bucks. The ignition switch was falling apart.

Lee said:
I agree, it's the ignition switch. Ford's solution was to replace my anti-lock system to the tune of $3000+. Luckily told them to take a flying leap.
Got it fixed at a local Auto Electric shop for about a hundred bucks. The ignition switch was falling apart.
Thanks for info. Ford garage says switch will be replaced but that hydro boost needs replacing. I asked if relays were problem they said no. Hydro boost discontinued according to them. Any ideas where to find used hydro? Thanks.

tbird1966sb said:
Thanks for info. Ford garage says switch will be replaced but that hydro boost needs replacing. I asked if relays were problem they said no. Hydro boost discontinued according to them. Any ideas where to find used hydro? Thanks.

Drive the car before you let them replace anything other than the ignition switch. I have lost all faith in Ford! (at least the dealers in my area) I'd say this website or eBay are the best way to find parts. Seems it would be rare to find a SC at a wrecking yard. Best of luck!

Back