Not Happy With The Gears in the 5 Speed conversion!

darkstar_one

Hey, I noticed that the gears suck after you convert to a 5 speed. First is pointless. It revs out so quick. Then on the highway. in 5th gear at 70MPH the engine is turning at 2200 2300 RPMS? WIth my automatic. it would be around 1900-2000 RPMS at the same speed. SHould i pop in some stock 5 speed gears. I dont really like this rev out quicker thing.

3.27's will do that to ya.

I have 3.27's in mine w/ 245/45/17 tires. At 70 my tach is around 2000 but I have been told that I'm only going about 62 mph. So I have to go 80 to be at 70 and then I'm taching around 2400-2600.

I am still undecided on the gears. Maybe I should just add more hp to the car to make it pull harder?

my 5-speed came with 3.27s in it (previous owner swapped in a rear end from an auto SC). i don't drive too agressively so i'd probably prefer the stock 2.73s... but i guess its much less work to deal with it :).

And its not all too bad.

Supposedly around town your gas mileage will be better since the engine isn't bogged down as much in the gears as it used to be.

Scott,

You will get the correct reading if you install the correct speedo gear. It is only like $20. Talk to supercoupeperformance.

As for the gears being pointless, this is true if you have anything higher than the 3.27's. 3.55's, and the 4.10's are really that way.

3.27's are the way to go in a 5spd............just my .02

Just install the LS1 T56. You should be turning 800 rpm at 70mph in 6th gear. You'll love that.

I'm turning 2500 at 75 and love it. There is no problem...you just aren't used to having REAL gearing :)

Naaaaa. The way you drive has more to do with how long your motor lasts. If you are cruising at 500 rpm higher it won't make any difference. I'll typically cruise at 2800 rpm on the highway. Coming back from the shootout I was cruising at 3000 rpm for a few hours.

Micah

I changed the speedometer gear, but I think my tires are a tad on the low profile size so I need to get a bit higher on my next set to hopefully bring my speedometer back into range. It sucks when you have a cop on your tail and you don't know exactly how fast you are going, or what it registering on his radar.

Had a cop follow me for a few exits on the highway last night, so I exited, he exited. Followed me into the nearest town on the back roads. I just made sure to completely stop, and use my signals, and go about 60-62 on a 55 mph road and hope it was around 53-56 mph.

5 Speed with 3.27s

After reading some similar threads before doing the swap, I was a little hestitant about doing the swap as well. I thought I was going to regret it, and I got the impression that 1st gear was going to be a waste (too short), but now that I have it, I would think anything less than 3.27s would be a real dog IMO. A 5 speed with 3.27s is the only way to go in my opinon if your car is just for the street. :)

Just my .02

I've had 3.27 gears in my 5-speed car for about 6 years and 100,000 miles now. No issues with the motor getting too hot on highway cruising, much of which was above 70 mph. ;)

1st isn't bad on mine, but the 94 - 95 cars had taller ratios in 1st and 2nd than the 89 - 93 M5R2 cars.

You should consider a rad upgrade anyway, if you're worried about heat. Definitely a worthwhile investment on an SC that you plan to keep long-term.

cheers
Ed N.

Well I for one can attest to how horrible 2.73s are on a late model M5R2. My car is a dog and the only good way to launch is a drop with throttle control from around 2400 rpms. Granted that launch is working out really good it's a waste of tires. I do it because if the car catches too early it just bogs real bad. :mad:

Back