No boost increase

hepcat

89 3.8 SC
Well got rid of the air silencer and flat panal filter.

I gutted my cats and lost 2 pounds of boost

I installed ram air directly to the round cone filter I put on and install 10% OD pulley on SC.

All this and only1/2 pound of boost added. you can feels a a little difference.

I think all this is do to a 55mm MAF.

So I should see a big difference if changed to a 70mm+ MAF I am guessing.

So I saw some on ebay that are the 76mm for the 88-93 Mustang. I have 30lb injectors and they come 24lb or 36lb injector calibration tube. Will this mess with my car if I get one for the 36lb injector. I am guessing it should work since the you can put the newer 91+ 70mm on the older one right?

What do ya think.

Raymond

Doing your exhaust will lower your boost, because you're releasing some backpressure. You need to have your Maf calibrated to the right size injectors. Look on Ebay, and Stephen C. sells them for SC's. Or you can just buy the Mustang Maf and change sampling tube.

sampling tube

So I can just change out my sampling tube in my 55mm stock one?

I found a 95 supercoupe MAF for $55 I know that one is a 70mm and should work well with what I am doing with my car.

with just going from a 55mm MAF to a 70mm or bigger did you guys feel any horse power increase?

Thanks for helping

Raymond

I just did that not too long ago. I used a 70mm MAF from a 93 and my 90 electronics in it. It worked very nice. I had just added my MAC intake and redid my exhaust up front with big ass cats and new down tubes so I had lost a little boost. The 70mm MAF sucks some pretty mean air through that MAC intake and I got back about a pound and change.

I would think that the reason that your not seeing more boost gain with a 10% pulley is becuase of belt slippage. The 10% pulley is a little small for the stock belt. That would be my guess anyway.

Thomas

Every time a modification is done it is recommended that the computer is disconnected at least for a 4hour period. Once you reconect it will re-program itself to the new settings. If you change air filter, remove air silencer and place the Air sensor upside down all you doing is telling the car that the air ratio is bigger and the car needs to compensate in order to notice the difference. Doinf the computer re-program like I said will tell the car that moe air is going in the system therefor the fuel compensation and throtle response needs to be there. I did it on my 93SC after I removed the old filter, silencer and placed a K&N conical filter on it. The response was a lot better to include even a boost on power. Believe me is a big change for such a small investment. Try it and let me know.

disconect comp

well i also have a 93sc auto and i just did my first mods which aint much but a 8 inch cone filter k&n and a fan on my ic ,if i disconect the comp will it make a difference?if so where is the comp and do u just unplug it for a few hours?

boost

I have disconnected the battery over night.

Well it is said that the 10% will blow headgaskets. Well in order to do this it would need more air Right?

If I still have the 55mm it would be sufficating the engine. Lack of air wish would not give it more boost.

Well has anyone done put the 10% OD pulley with the 55mm and seen the 2-3 pounds of boost it is supposed to give?

As for belt slippage I would notice a serge in engine power and I didn't notice that until 5200 you can feel it shudder a little

I seriously think it is the maf with will post what I find when I find a bigger one.

Thanks for all the responces guys i love this site and all the friendly help

Raymond

With only changing filters, removing silencers etc, The mass-air meter will automatically pick up any change in air flow. Unhooking the battery should have no effect on this. It will make you have to reset your clock and radio presets though.

With a sufficiently free flowing exhaust, running your supercharger 10% over normal should not increase head gasket failure. A significant culprit to failure is backpressure.. and as long as there isn't too much, installing a larger MAF should be fine. It will still produce more power with boost levels no higher than before the mods, as more air is flowing through over all. The boost gauge simply measures the backpressure in the system.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I hoping to get up to at least 12 pounds of pressure with that 10%.

Who knows maybe my car had some engine work before I got it.
I will get it figured out and well see what happens when I get my hands on a bigger MAF.

Thanks again and I love this site I am learning alot

Raymond

Back