did something dumb help

wayne heisler

OK I pulled crankshaft key which I damage taking off broken balancer. Then instead of replacing key I turn crankshaft with out key.Then soon as I saw timing sprocket did not line up I just got It lined up and put in new key.Whats chance of having in right.Could it worst case be 180 out or is the cam and crank out of sink. Buy the way what is procedure for taking out no 1 plug to find compresssion strock.
Thanks guys. :eek:

Lets think about this for a second... The camshaft turns 1/2 as fast as the crankshaft, or stated another way, there are 2 rotations of the crankshaft for every 1 rotation of the camshaft... OK.. so far so good. This means that the circumference (distance around the sprocket) of the crank sprocket is precisely 1/2 of the circumference of the camshaft sprocket.
Now mentally slowly turn the crankshaft 1 turn and think of the motion of the valves.. then turn it mentally one more turn again and you see that the key will align twice with the upper sprocket. Since the piston and the crank repeat EXACTLY the same motion twice for each rotation of the camshaft, this means that as long as the key is lined up, then the cam sprocket is in sync with the crank sprocket..

Inother words, you are fine as long as the key fits. :cool:

Back