Eibach 1.5" Coils

SuperCB

I installed a set of Eibach 1.5" coils in my '90 SC a few months back, and after a day or two, an annoying "squeak" started. I took the car to my buddy's speed shop, and we narrowed the "squeak" down. Turns out that on the front coils, the upper 4 or 5 winds of the coil are very close together (less than an 1/8"), and when mild to heavy bumps are hit, the winds touch, and when they separate, they SQUEAK! We confirmed this by putting some moly grease on the winds, bounced the car, and the squeak was gone....... until the moly wore off.

I have talked to Eibach about this, and they say the coils are installed wrong. When I tell them that they only go in one way, they tell me that they need to be indexed. They say "Leave a ¼" to ½" space between the end of the coil and the spring seat pocket. This will help prevent spring noise when encountering large bumps." When I tell them again that they only go in one way, they insist that they aren't indexed.

Now, from what I can tell, you can't index them, because if you leave the space, the coils will just seat (like they are now) once the coil is expanded.

So, who runs Eibachs? Any problems? Am I missing something? Should I sell her and go back to my Bronco? :)

I've had my eibach springs for almost two years and no noise so I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe once the coating wears down they'll quiet up.

Scott Long said:
I've had my eibach springs for almost two years and no noise so I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe once the coating wears down they'll quiet up.

Scott, the noise is so bad that I am worried about the law hearing it, and giving me a vehicle inspection notice. On bumpy roads it sounds like the front end is going to fall apart. When I'm cruising people aren't staring at the cool car. ;)

My gut (and it's a big one), is telling me that this indexing thing is the problem, but I just can't figure it out. :confused:

I don't recall indexing my springs, but what I assume they are talking about is to pull the front shocks off the car, loosen the nut on the mount, and then turn the spring, so that its not tucked right up to the notch on the mount, give it 1/4 inch of space. Then tighten the mount back down. I think the springs need to be compressed to be able to loosen and turn the mount.

Anyways, I don't see how that will quiet them up, but you never know. Do you have a set of spring compressors? I have a set but they take forever to use since they clip onto the springs, and you have to crank them by hand with a 19mm socket and a long handle ratchet. A wall mounted compressor would be ideal but I don't have the money to buy one. So I will just continue to use my set I got from Auto Zone.

I'm going to pull a tire tomorrow and check the indexing thing again. As for the compressor; my buddy has one at his shop. I'm trying to get over there so we can rebuild the locker, install some rear camber shims, re-align all corners, and check to see why my ABS light is now staying on 75% of the time. :)

Scott (and others), a couple more questions.......

I talked to Eibach today and the guy couldn't explain how the indexing would solve my problem, and he asked me if there was any plastic covering on the old coils that could have been swapped to the Eibach's. Seeing as how I didn't do the install and I told my buddy to throw away the old one's, I can't answer that question. I also talked to another buddy at Ford, and he couldn't find a listing for any such covering. So, did your stock coils have any plastic wrapped around them?

Secondly, how is the ride of your Eibach's? Mine have a "Cadillac" like ride. Now, I've only had the car for a year, and the old coils, shocks and struts were pooched, so I have no comparison. I can handle the ride, but I was expecting something stiffer, as years ago I had a lowered Civic SI and it was a bit of a stiff ride.

Last edited:
I have the eibachs and on "auto" ride, it's kind of floaty (cadillac). But, on "firm", it's just right for me. I keep it on that the whole time. I do not have the squeaking you describe, I hope you find out what is wrong.

SuperCB said:
I'm going to pull a tire tomorrow and check the indexing thing again. As for the compressor; my buddy has one at his shop. I'm trying to get over there so we can rebuild the locker, install some rear camber shims, re-align all corners, and check to see why my ABS light is now staying on 75% of the time. :)

There aren't any rear camber shims available that I am aware of. Mostly because there is nowhere you could put a shim on an SC. If the oem camber adjustment isn't enough to get your car in spec, you'll have to modify the eccentric, or get an aftermarket cam bolt kit. Also make sure your buddies alignment machine has been calibrated recently, and it isn't an old relic that will damage your wheels. Or just make sure it's a Hunter. ;)

Michael Mattix said:
I have the eibachs and on "auto" ride, it's kind of floaty (cadillac). But, on "firm", it's just right for me. I keep it on that the whole time. I do not have the squeaking you describe, I hope you find out what is wrong.

Thanks Michael. At least now I know that the ride is how it should be.

Max__Power said:
There aren't any rear camber shims available that I am aware of. Mostly because there is nowhere you could put a shim on an SC. If the oem camber adjustment isn't enough to get your car in spec, you'll have to modify the eccentric, or get an aftermarket cam bolt kit. Also make sure your buddies alignment machine has been calibrated recently, and it isn't an old relic that will damage your wheels. Or just make sure it's a Hunter. ;)

We will be making some cams fit, custom, of course. The joys of having friends that own race shops! Just have to teach him how to index coil springs! :D

And no worries about his alignment machine, it is less than a year old. Not sure what make it is, but it is full digital etc. In fact, he has some of the best equipment (scope, alignment, hoists) in town. I got him hooked on four-wheeling years ago, and now he has a Ranger with a 2.3l turbo (from a Turbo Coupe) that is pushing well over 300 hp. It is a hoot to drive! :)

UPDATE

Well, just threw in another set of Eibach's, and so far so good. I will wait a few days to see if the squeak comes back. Also, this set of coils feel a tad stiffer, but again, I will give it a few days; been driving the Bronco for the past 3 days, so my senses are still used to its super mushy flexy suspension.

Back