302 in super coupe

Hopefully XR7 Dave will jump on here. Depending on what year your SC is and what year 5.0 you get you have to splice the harness into your SC if you wish to use the fuel injection. It can be done but I hear is a tad tricky. It helps if you get the donor motor from a TBird, or get a nice built motor but use the tbird oil pan, and intake manifolds along with the bird wiring harness and accessory brackets. Also if you switch to an electric fan it might be easier than using the fan clutch and stock fan, also you might gain a few hp from not having to spin a fan w/ the engine.

thats what i want to do. I want to put a 5.0 in a SC that i am going to buy. Im talking about new harness also. I would just use the T BIRD TRANNY and get a new 5.0 Harness and probably a REMAN or USED ECU, ECC, WHATEVER its called. I have been pondering that alot lately. So many things available for the 5.0. i just wish they would of followed chevy and put the distributor in the back. It looks ugly in the front. All extra huge and still ugly! Can you switch to DIS?

depends, the 5.0s started in 91, the pin outputs etc are closer to 91 up SCs, easier to do on a 3,8 Base bird because you dont have to re-wire the DIS crap. You can get after market DIS systems?, if not maybe the newer Exploders had DIS on theirs, beats me :confused: . Whats the point, you have to swap heads or add a blower to make it faster than a SC :confused: , 5.0s use so much emissions crap also

91scsask said:
Hi, has anyone put a 302 in a supercoupe and if so, how difficult was it?

Thanx

Dave Dalke swapped a 302 into my 93 SC from a 91 LX Tbird then the stock 302 and AOD were replaced with a 347 race motor and a Lentech AOD. This thread shows swapping the stock 302 for the 347.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48391&page=1&pp=15&highlight=347+turbo

Since those pictures were taken I've upgraded the alternator to a Mustang 3G, installed a Griffin aluminum radiator and a Mrk 8 electric fan. It's currently having the turbo system installed.

David

Thanx for the responses. But I was just going to take a 302 from any thing bore it out put a good cam in it some decent heads and a good intake and a carb and some headers and have some fun. This might sound like a stupid question but will the stock sc 5 speed tranny bolt up to the 302? And was it difficult changing all the brackets over for Air conditioning power steering ETC.

Thanx again,

the five speed will bolt right up.

Get the tbird LX brackets.

with a carb just wire up an msd ignition and you're all set.

Back