93 spindle and PBR caliper swap questions

sizemoremk

Ok guys, I got the 99 Mustang GT loaded PBR calipers from autozone, the banjo bolts and washers form Ford (part number 2321) , the spindles from a 93 supercoupe, and new sway bar end links for a 93 supercoupe. I will be either turning my 90 SC rotors or buying new ones if they can;t be turned.

I want to verify that these are the parts I need, and I'm sure the sway bar end links are correct, but they look different than the busted ones I took off the 93... I have a pic of these sway bar end links for the 93, and would feel better if someone esle verifies these crocked looking ones...

I have also been told that a left hand brake line will negate the need to grind on the caliper to get the block to fit... So I got an extra LH line also.

I also have a question on the banjo bolt part numbers; earlier I found a part number for the banjo bolts part number M-2321-A and ordered them from Dan Newman. I got em yesterday.

Now I see another part number being thrown around on the tccoa, part number W706548... Anyone know if this is correct?

Can anyone verify my setup before I tackle this job?

Attachments

• sbel.JPG
    sbel.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I switched my 90 spindles to 93 VIII spindles and the sway bar link was
bent like your picture.

The stock 90 ones were straight.

I installed 13'' brake rotors on the front,And 11.65 on the back.
It is really nice on how fast I can stop now.It seems like I can
stop in half the distance than before with the stock brakes.
Plus the larger diameter of the rotors,I hope I will never have
a rotor warping problem.

RANDY

I don't know the part numbers but be very carefull with the PBR banjo bolts. Earlier calipers like the 99 model year come with 10mm x 1.0 threads that are very fine and easy to strip. I forget what the stock torque specs are - say 45 ft.lbs, then use only 35 ft.lbs on the PBR's (you may be lucky and get instructions in the caliper box). Later years went back to 10mm x 1.5 which is a much stronger and more popular size - the same as the stock banjo's I believe. Grinding a small channel in the back of the caliper I found easier than grinding or swapping banjo's - can be done with a Dremel and is only needed on the pasenger side.
Hope that helps.

don't confuse the GT pbr's with the cobra pbr's.. They are both dual piston, but different calipers and brackets. I belive the '99 banjo bolt issues only applies to the cobra calipers.

Hmm ... I'm guessing those are aftermarket stab. bar end links, I don't recall the OE Ford pieces having a bend like that. If they line up OK, they should be fine.

W706548 is the correct Ford hardware number for the 99 - 02 PBR calipers, GT or Cobra, with the fine thread. 03 - 04 PBR calipers have the coarser thread again. M-2321-A would be an Ford Racing Parts kit, I don't have a new enough catalogue here at home to verify that number for you.

Which hub & bearing assemblies are you using, your original 1990 units, or ones that came with the newer spindles? The reason I ask, in case you're not aware, the 89 - 90 rotors match up with the hubs that have a smaller pilot hole than the 91 - up rotors. So if you try to put your 1990 rotors on newer hubs, they will interfere in the centre hole area.

cheers
Ed N.

fast Ed said:
Hmm ... I'm guessing those are aftermarket stab. bar end links, I don't recall the OE Ford pieces having a bend like that. If they line up OK, they should be fine.

W706548 is the correct Ford hardware number for the 99 - 02 PBR calipers, GT or Cobra, with the fine thread. 03 - 04 PBR calipers have the coarser thread again. M-2321-A would be an Ford Racing Parts kit, I don't have a new enough catalogue here at home to verify that number for you.

Which hub & bearing assemblies are you using, your original 1990 units, or ones that came with the newer spindles? The reason I ask, in case you're not aware, the 89 - 90 rotors match up with the hubs that have a smaller pilot hole than the 91 - up rotors. So if you try to put your 1990 rotors on newer hubs, they will interfere in the centre hole area.

cheers
Ed N.

DAMN!

Maybe I can turn the ones that came off the 93.

This brake upgrade is getting expensive!!!

The aftermarket endlinks use a curved design that's supposed to be stronger than the straight.

you need to grind away part of the caliper and part of the spindle to fit the PBR calipers, as well as cutting a small piece of metal off the passenger caliper where the brake line block bolts to it, otherwise it gets in the way and you can't bolt it down.

I did this swap on my car, the difference is awesome!

-Thomas

How are ya'll grinding the caliper for the banjo???

See pic below...

Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• caliper grind.JPG
    caliper grind.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 200
For my Cobra calipers, I thought it was easier to grind down the brake line "banjo" to get a good fit.

Did your aftermarket end links come from AutoZone? Do you have a price you could share?

gldiii said:
For my Cobra calipers, I thought it was easier to grind down the brake line "banjo" to get a good fit.

Did your aftermarket end links come from AutoZone? Do you have a price you could share?

It is under "sway bar repair kit" at Autozone...

Weird thing though, the spindle end doesn't seem quite right, it as tight as its gonna get, but the bolt doesn't seem to "seat" all the way into the spindle side :confused:

I guess I'll have to keep inspecting it to make sure its right???

I was going to take a picture and ask ya'll about it, but couldn't find the camera yesterday. I just called the ole lady and axed her to find it.

This might require a new thread to get figured out....

Anyways, what I used is this here:

SWAY BAR REPAIR KIT for a
1993 FORD THUNDERBIRD
FRONT SUSPENSION
Normal Stock

DURALAST SL257 3 MO $32.99

Last edited:
Without seeing a close-up photo of how your link is fitting into the spindle, it's hard to say whether or not it's assembled correctly.

cheers
Ed N.

I would recommend modifying the banjo fitting rather than the caliper. It is so easy to modify the banjo. I used a hacksaw to cut the banjo and it took about 5 min. and is easier to control how much you take off than with a grinder. You only need to take off about .090. John

with a few minutes spent with a cutting wheel I chopped that little fin off on the passenger side by the banjo bolt. No harm can come of it, it's not critical to the operation of the caliper.
-Thomas

Thomas said:
with a few minutes spent with a cutting wheel I chopped that little fin off on the passenger side by the banjo bolt. No harm can come of it, it's not critical to the operation of the caliper.
-Thomas

So you removed the little fin altogether, like in the middle pic?

Thanks!

Back