Remote Trunk Release Not Releaseing

Pearl Red XR7

The remote trunk release in my car does not open the trunk. (it has worked four or five times) I can hear the thing clicking but it appers to be out of adjustment. Anybody know how to adjust it. And it wont work unless I have the key on. Can I wire it to be hot with the key off?

Thanks!

Pearl Red XR7 said:
The remote trunk release in my car does not open the trunk. (it has worked four or five times) I can hear the thing clicking but it appers to be out of adjustment. Anybody know how to adjust it. And it wont work unless I have the key on. Can I wire it to be hot with the key off?

Thanks!

my car had the same problem when you hit the trunk button on your keyless entry you can hear it click and nothing happens, what does it do when you push the button in your console? mine turned out to be a little clip that hooks into the latch, and all i did was take the clip off and wire it to other wire and soldered it and it works fine.

94SCBird said:
my car had the same problem when you hit the trunk button on your keyless entry you can hear it click and nothing happens, what does it do when you push the button in your console? mine turned out to be a little clip that hooks into the latch, and all i did was take the clip off and wire it to other wire and soldered it and it works fine.

Well it's kinda like a crap shoot; it might open or it might just make the noise. I have to push the buttion kinda hard for it to work but it always make the noise just does not always open.

The latch in the trunk is sticking. I made the mistake of trying to lube mine and now it never works. Seems WD40 is not the right viscosity for the latch mechanism. :rolleyes: Anyway, I have remote keyfob release so I just press my hand gently on the trunk to release tension and it pops every time perfectly. Of course that is difficult if using the inside switch. :cool:

Open the trunklid and keep it open.
Push a large screwdriver into the latch where it engages with the striker. This will close the two prongs that go around the striker.
Remove the screwdriver.
Get a helper to operate the trunk release and observe whether the two prongs in the latch open.
Do the above a number of times.
If the prongs open every time when the trunklid is kept open, the latch and striker may not be adjusted in relation to each other or the two black rubber bumper stops (one on each fender) may be unscrewed too much; all of these will require more force to open the trunklid.
The latch can be adjusted sideways and the striker up and down. You can temporarily screw down the bumper stops all the way to prevent them from interfering.

When I was playing with my stereo in my trunk I ended up lowering the ring(latch) in the trunk which cause the same result you are having, maybe try peeling up the carpet and make sure that over time the latch in the truck has not moved down. I think It is secure with two 10 mm bolts.

Back