PDA

View Full Version : more fun :)

Kyler
06-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Actually not. Alright, my car is a 1990 Cougar XR7, 164,xxx km's. I'm taking my car to my local Ford dealership on tuesday morning to get all this bs fixed.

#1 Rad Fluid "Low" light keeps coming on randomly.
#2 A constant rattle under the console when ever going over a bumpy road.
#3 Passenger side door lock doesn't work.
#4 (recent problem) I put some mobile 1 15W30 in about a month ago along with a new oil filter, now my display says "SOON" under oil change.
#5 (recent problem) whenever the car is under acceleration light or hard I can hear another rattling. Sounds like a tinfoil plate hitting the chasis (pinging?)
#6 (this one im not sure about) either my boost guage is off or im not getting the full 12 psi, but going 140 km/h in 4th gear around 4k rpm only reaches just past 9 psi and doesn't wanna climb anymore.
#7 Idle is pretty rough and the odd time when starting the car it comes right on the verge of stalling.

I mean yah the car is 15 years old with some high km's so things are going to wear down on it but I'm seriously considering a loan to get all this crap fixed and get a good tune up so I can have some relief over the mechanical state of my car.

rzibilske77
06-17-2005, 02:21 PM
your are going to have a hell of a loan if you got the dealership route!!!

Tickler
06-17-2005, 03:09 PM
#1 Fill the overflow tank with the proper mix
#2 Tighten down the console.
#3 If it's the motor thats broke, replace it. If its a broken clip, glue it back together using a strong adhesive, aka windshield urathane.
#4 Fact of life
#5 Check for boost leaks, buy some little hose clamps.
#6, #7, going 140km/hr in 4th at 4000rpm is impossible, check for boost leaks again.

Do yourself a favor and look through the forums, they've saved me a nice chunk of bank.

CaifanSC
06-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Actually not. Alright, my car is a 1990 Cougar XR7, 164,xxx km's. I'm taking my car to my local Ford dealership on tuesday morning to get all this bs fixed.

#1 Rad Fluid "Low" light keeps coming on randomly.
#2 A constant rattle under the console when ever going over a bumpy road.
#3 Passenger side door lock doesn't work.
#4 (recent problem) I put some mobile 1 15W30 in about a month ago along with a new oil filter, now my display says "SOON" under oil change.
#5 (recent problem) whenever the car is under acceleration light or hard I can hear another rattling. Sounds like a tinfoil plate hitting the chasis (pinging?)
#6 (this one im not sure about) either my boost guage is off or im not getting the full 12 psi, but going 140 km/h in 4th gear around 4k rpm only reaches just past 9 psi and doesn't wanna climb anymore.
#7 Idle is pretty rough and the odd time when starting the car it comes right on the verge of stalling.

I mean yah the car is 15 years old with some high km's so things are going to wear down on it but I'm seriously considering a loan to get all this crap fixed and get a good tune up so I can have some relief over the mechanical state of my car.

Yeah man, those are relatively easy problems and if you go through ford ur gonna get a hell of a bill.

1- take out the coolant sensor and clean the terminals. Overtime they build corrosion and gunk and its easy for them to get covered with crap. Clean them up, sand the terminals to a nice bright metal finish and ull be ok. Just saved ur self maybe $70 for one hr of labor for a ford electrician.

2- i'd try what the other dude said..take the console appart, see if there's anythign obviuos and put it back together nice and tight. That sometimes helps.

3- maybe check ur actuators.

4- reset the oil change indicator and see if it happens again.

5- 'could' be the exhaust that's loose. U'd need to do a bit more checking on this one.

6- check the hose that goes from the back of the supercharger into the fire wall (ends up in ur boost gauge). Might be starting to crack...common occurance.

7- again could be a number of things anything from ignition components, AIC, etc.

Jeremy_K
06-18-2005, 09:58 AM
I have an easier fix. Take that VMM that always reads false and sell it on Ebay. It should fetch about $80.00 (for some reason). Replace it with a blank panel that is found in many other tbirds/cougars. Oh yeah, cut or tie off the wires where the VMM used to be so they don't rattle. What is your elevation? My boost goes up a pound or 2 when i drop a few thousand feet in elevation.
There's a metal shield around you driver's side cat. make sure that's not coming loose.

Kyler
06-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Well thanks guys, I appreciate the help but I have no idea what I'm doing under there. I have reset the fluids button and when I say rattling below the console I mean as in under the car (maybe a cv joint or worn bearing etc) sorry for the confusion. Elevation I dunno, near Winnipeg Manitoba. I am aware that going through Ford isn't going to be cheap, but I'm frustrated cause I have no idea what I'm doing under the hood :confused:

Thanks for the help though, I will see what I can come up with.

Kinda sucks cause I was saving a bit for some more bolt ons from SCP and MP but of course, the car has to act up :(

Jeremy_K
06-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Well thanks guys, I appreciate the help but I have no idea what I'm doing under there. I have reset the fluids button and when I say rattling below the console I mean as in under the car (maybe a cv joint or worn bearing etc) sorry for the confusion. Elevation I dunno, near Winnipeg Manitoba. I am aware that going through Ford isn't going to be cheap, but I'm frustrated cause I have no idea what I'm doing under the hood :confused:

Thanks for the help though, I will see what I can come up with.

Kinda sucks cause I was saving a bit for some more bolt ons from SCP and MP but of course, the car has to act up :(
Try using "search" on here. I'm sure you can find enough info to do almost anything on these cars. Also, a haynes or a helms shop manual can save you a lot of money too. I won't trust a Ford dealer or any other shop with my car. There's just too many things to be half-assed by a lazy mechanic. Not many dealer mechanics are familiar with these engines. that is why it is so expensive.