96-97 front end conversion

thundermax

I have 90 SC and the front end of my car is wrecked (bumper cover and lights), I am looking to do a 96-97 front end conversion. Has anyone done this and what's involved, is this a direct bolt in? And also do I have to modify any parts to make it fit my car. Thanks for all the help, Max

you are going to need the HOOD, the HEADER PANEL, the HEADLIGHTS and SIDEMARKERS. The FRONT BUMPER COVER and that should be it. good luck. i have been thinking about this alot also and i dont have the money for it.

thanks for the reply, tomorrow I am going to a new local junkjard and will try to find a 97 thunderbird, I figured if I have to replace front end anyways then it would look better updated to a 97, I saw someone did it before and it looked really nice.

one more question, I will be getting new passenger side door and i was wondering if all 89-97 doors are interchangeable? and If I get a '95 door can i use it on my '90?

I'm going to be converting too soon...

Just remember though on the doors, the 96-97 birds have color matching handles. Where as the 89-95 Doors had black plastic handles.

There was a write-up somewhere on how to convert the door handles too, but it looked pretty involved.

I would say get the header panel, headlights, clear corners, and either a 94-95 hood or a 96-97 hood, and use a 94/95 SC/LX front bumper w/ fogs as the 96+ didn't have fog lights. Look at Tony Serno's 94 it has the stock front bumper but the newer header and lights.

serno944.jpg

I would also get some 94/95 door trim, and then get your car painted all one color, since you probably have the black trim on your rear bumper.

Last edited:
wow scott long that car is freakin beautiful. Is that the stocj front bumper or an aftermarket. I seem to remember the black scoop thing that hung down in the front Im not seeing. It looks like the hoods a little high. Is it just because the pic was taken from below the center line of the car? Ive never been one for door trim but wow. Im wanting that mod. Whats the header panel? Would that be the radiator core supprt or just the cowl on top where the raiator and IC bolt to?

I need a new bumper and Ive been looking at aftermarket hoods. My headlights are a little hazy but this looks like the swap for me. Would you say minus paint parts only time not included its doable under say 1g? Thanks Mike

Thats my car in the pic Scott posted. Like he said, I used a 97 headlight mounting (header)panel and headlights. It also has 97 clear corner lights. The hood is a 96-97 Legendary Cobra R. That's why it looks high in the pic.

The bumper is a stock 94-95 you just cant see the black lower piece too well in the picture.

I'm gonna do it! But still have alot of questions!

Tony's car looks real good. But I'm debating using the 94-95 Front Facia or the 96-97 Front Facia. You said that there isn't anyway to mount the fog lights on the 96-97? Didn't the 97 T-bird Sport come with fog lights?

I think I'm also going to go with the stock 97 fiberglass hood from VFN.

Where can I find the front facias? No one seems to be selling them?

In addition to all of these parts, are there any little extra "nuts and bolts" that are needed for the swap. For example, the 95 headlight wiring harness is compatable with the 97 light housings?

Would this be a good time to upgrade to the competition limited wiring harness on my 95 to run some higher wattage bulbs?

Everyone says to run hood pins with a fiberglass hood, but I don't see any on Tony's car... unless they are hidden? Did tony need to get lighter hood struts? Where did he get them?

Hopefully if you guys can help me out, I'd like to order the parts this evening!!!! :D

In addition to all of these parts, are there any little extra "nuts and bolts" that are needed for the swap.
The only thing you should need if you are keeping the 94-95 cover is the hood release rod from a 97. The wiring is the same.

Everyone says to run hood pins with a fiberglass hood, but I don't see any on Tony's car... unless they are hidden? Did tony need to get lighter hood struts? Where did he get them?

You are right. People say you need hood pins but I am not using them. I will probably jinx myself for this but.....I have had my car over 140 mph without them.
Lighter hood struts are for babies :) I am using the stock ones. But seriously, most others I have talked to have screwed up their hoods trying to use any struts at all. I guess I am lucky :p

That Hood must be on nice and tight!

Your hood must be on nice and tight then if you've had your car up to high speed like that!!! :eek:

Well, I'm going to order the clear corners, the Headlights and the header panel tonight. At least I'll have those parts on the way.

Maybe tony, the VFN fiberglass is built better than the other hoods we've used. So using the stock hood supports and stong hinges/latches is just fine for this hood.

Although I'd like the "power bulge" on the hood, I think I'll just go with the stock style. This way people will think I've got a stock hood, but in reality it'll be a bit lighter!

What about upgrading to the competition limited wiring harness? Is it even worth doing?

Also is it true about the 97 front facia NOT having fog light cutouts like the 95 ones do? Again, I thought that the 97 T-bird Sport had fog lights?

And last but not least, where can I even GET another front facia? The one on my car is broke... :mad:

Last edited:
Back