Anyone know of a good Pop-up blocker?

Jeremy_K

I just installed a new hardrive and Windows XP and I'm getting thousands of Pop-ups and Windows Update messages. Are there any good ones on Ebay? I bought Defender Pro 5.1 at Walmart for $20 and it sucked. I uninstalled it.

get grouper, and get on there, we all have alot of programs, all mine are down till WD sends me a new one, but there are alot of guys there that have things

also get ad aware, for free, its pretty darn good, also i use zonelabs personal firewall that works very well at that stuff too.

Most of what i said can be found at www.download.com

Tyler

Well, start with the latest service pack for Winxp. Use the built in firewall. Then download the latest IE as it has a popup blocker. Personally I use Avant Browser for it's tabbed interface and it had a popup blocker before google made one. The google one is pretty good though.

And stop the messenger service if it's running on your machine. Service Pack 2 for XP will do that by default.

Oh and download something like spybot or the Microsoft Antispyware beta and run some scans.

And also pickup something like the free AVAST anti-virus scanner.

windows updates!!!

get all windows critical updates they are for yours and anyone who you e-mail's best interest. they are free and deal with the open ports that spam live through!! if you are getting notices of updates then download and install them. then get a good antivirus that updates itself and 99% of your problems will disaappear. i use NOD32 it works in real time so you need not do any scans of your hard drive ever. it scans as you use the computer and access files.Learn how to use windows firewall that comes with SP2 . use it and leave it on .

huckleberry said:
get all windows critical updates they are for yours and anyone who you e-mail's best interest. they are free and deal with the open ports that spam live through!! if you are getting notices of updates then download and install them. then get a good antivirus that updates itself and 99% of your problems will disaappear. i use NOD32 it works in real time so you need not do any scans of your hard drive ever. it scans as you use the computer and access files.Learn how to use windows firewall that comes with SP2 . use it and leave it on .
I think they say message service or messenger service. if i click OK or Close they just go away. If i leave my desktop idle for an hour I bet I get 25 of those popups saying i could have critical errors! It's really getting to be a pain. I'll start with the google bar when I get home tomorrow. If that doesn't work i'll try the other stuff you guys posted. I don't know a ton about computers as far as security. I'm still trying to learn. Thanks for your help everyone. :cool:

Goto the link I provided & install the Microsoft Spyware. .. You'll never see another one of those again. It catches everything & it's free. .. It also works itself, so there is nothing to figure out. If you can log in here, you can install the program. ...

The problem with additions like Google (not against) or any other 3rd party invasion to IE is that there's always a backlash. And with toolbars, it's system resources (small, but there) & there's always a reason they are free. ....

With the Microsoft Spyware software, MS put it out there for free (for now) because they have no vested interest in having 3rd party software invade their scripting & use it to profit other companies. ... Sooooo, long story short, it catches everything applied to your PC, cleans it up & makes sure nothing else moves in. All in an effort to have your PC run clean & try to get rid of the thought that MS products run like crap. .. Most of the time it's because of all the additional junk that gets added to it.

Anthony

SilverCasket said:
Goto the link I provided & install the Microsoft Spyware. .. You'll never see another one of those again. It catches everything & it's free. .. It also works itself, so there is nothing to figure out. If you can log in here, you can install the program. ...

The problem with additions like Google (not against) or any other 3rd party invasion to IE is that there's always a backlash. And with toolbars, it's system resources (small, but there) & there's always a reason they are free. ....

With the Microsoft Spyware software, MS put it out there for free (for now) because they have no vested interest in having 3rd party software invade their scripting & use it to profit other companies. ... Sooooo, long story short, it catches everything applied to your PC, cleans it up & makes sure nothing else moves in. All in an effort to have your PC run clean & try to get rid of the thought that MS products run like crap. .. Most of the time it's because of all the additional junk that gets added to it.

Anthony

Use firefox, it's a different brower with a very nice biult in pop-up blocker.

http://spreadfirefox.com/

You should know by now that NOTHING microsoft puts out is safe-if it were, there would be no need for aintivirus, antiadaware, antipopup, anti this, anti that, anti, anti, ANTI!!! :mad:

I learned how to stop windows popups by disabling messenger. I also used a Yahoo toolbar with popup and anti spy. It's working great so far. No more popups. Thanks guys

Just beware, pop-up blockers dont stop spam/spyware/trojans, etc. All they do is keep them from showing up. I've seen way too many people that think they're safe because they use google toolbar or some such thing, only to call me and say their computer is f*cked up. Be smart, turn off windows messenger service, and run ad-aware, spybot S&D, and spy sweeper, and you'll be good for life. It's also not necessary to run an alternate browser either (although they can be real nice), at times they can be a pita.

i use crazybrowser, thats another alternative to firefox, IE, or that netscape browser. Like firefox it has a built in popup blocker, and it has 1 tabulated window. I like it

Randle said:
Just beware, pop-up blockers dont stop spam/spyware/trojans, etc. All they do is keep them from showing up. I've seen way too many people that think they're safe because they use google toolbar or some such thing, only to call me and say their computer is f*cked up. Be smart, turn off windows messenger service, and run ad-aware, spybot S&D, and spy sweeper, and you'll be good for life. It's also not necessary to run an alternate browser either (although they can be real nice), at times they can be a pita.
I turned off windows mess. service. That stopped 99% of the popups i was getting. I used to have adaware firewall which was a pain cause it wouldn't let me go to many websites and it slowed my computer down. That was my old hard drive which sucked though.

Back