Running rich according to dyno results

rad_al_

I dyno'd my car tonight... '94 5-speed. The mods done to it are CAI, 76mm maf, & 70mm throttle body. I haven't been able to afford a ported inlet plenum & I think that's why it's running rich... extremely rich from what they told me. Here's my questions:
1.) is not having a ported inlet plenum causing it to run rich?
2.) what else could make it run that rich?
3.) what kind of damage can happen to my car?
4.) would I be better off putting the stock throttle body back on?

Attachments

• Dyno result.jpg
    Dyno result.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
rad_al_ said:
I dyno'd my car tonight... '94 5-speed. The mods done to it are CAI, 76mm maf, & 70mm throttle body. I haven't been able to afford a ported inlet plenum & I think that's why it's running rich... extremely rich from what they told me. Here's my questions:
1.) is not having a ported inlet plenum causing it to run rich?
2.) what else could make it run that rich?
3.) what kind of damage can happen to my car?
4.) would I be better off putting the stock throttle body back on?
My first question is how much boost are you getting and how hot was the car? It looks to me like you are hard against the knock sensor.

The 94/95 SC is programmed to hit 10.0 AF so its actually not that far off. However, I would recommend that you remove both the MAF and TB until you can get the car tuned. The 94's do not respond well to either of those mods and the stock parts are good enough for well over 225rwhp which you aren't close to at this point.

A stock 94/95 properly tuned will make 200-210rwhp.

No codes and no check engine lights. They also told me there was some black smoke coming out of my exhaust.

I was getting 15 lbs of boost & my car was definately warmed up. It was sitting on the dyno for a while because they didn't have a certain sensor hooked up right. The radiator fan also kicked on for a few seconds then off right before I started the run.

Last edited:
In that case your dyno pull is more or less invalid. Sorry about the waste of your money.

1) If the fan came on then your engine was at 220 deg which is too hot for running on the dyno. It should have been between 180-195 deg max.

2) Your IC should be cool to the touch. Since little or no air is going through the IC on a dyno, you can't just let it sit there and cook prior to a pull.

If you are getting 15psi then you must at least have an OD pulley of some sort. You cannot run an OD pulley on a 94 with out a double IC and fan, or perhaps alcohol injection.

In your case alcohol injection would work but you would need to lean out the car as well. A chip and 180 deg thermostat would a big benefit also.

Back