Difference in Rotors?

fastsc92

Is there a difference in 93-97 rotors vs 89-92 brake rotors? I know that the spindles where changed in 93, but were the rotors changed as well??? A local guy has some 93-97 brake rotors for short money, just want to see if they will fit or not.

If I'm not mistaken, '91 is when the hubs were changed. Then the spindles changed in '93. I do not believe that the hubs changed again in '93, but I could be mistaken.

So, to the best of my knowledge, standard rotors for '93 and up should work on your '92. However, sport rotors won't work unless you go with the '93 and up spindles. The sport rotors are the same size as the M8 rotors, but won't fit under the older spindles.

I'm sure that these rotors are stock sized, but i just didn't know of any hub or bolt-on changes. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I used the front rotors off a 90 SC on my 95 4.6 Cougar without a problem.

The rears are definitely different. I think it's 92 and up used a thinner rotor in the back.

91 - 97 front rotors are the same. 93 - 97 rear rotors are the same.

Fronts have a larger pilot hole for the hub, 91 - 97 front hubs are the same. Rear rotors are thinner on 93 - 97.

cheers
Ed N.

fastsc92 said:
so should i not put those 93 style rotors in the back? will they work ok with my calipers?

93 style rear rotors should be used with 93 - 97 calipers and pads, otherwise your caliper piston could travel out too far. An alternate idea would be to make up some simple shims to fit behind the early pads, 1/8" per side would be needed.

cheers
Ed N.

any pro's and cons about cross drilled and slotted rotors? I'm not doing any racing, just normal driving. Mostly for looks with the new rims, so should i go for em?

Back