doing the eaton m90 swap on my 98 mustang...few questions

novaspyder

just had a couple quick questions for ppl who have done this...

1) Do I need the supercoupe PS pulley bracket or will my mustang one work? I looked at pics of both and they look pretty much exactley the same except a mount at the bottom of the SC one for intercooler piping...

2) Do i really need a supercoupe throttle cable or will the mustang one reach

3) Does the AC need to be deleted on my mustang? If so, why?

4) Do I need the supercoupe valve covers or will my mustang ones work? If I need the supercoupe ones, why?

You are asking the wrong people. Go on V6power and do a search Sprout and myself have listed the parts many times.

In response to 4, you will need the Supercoupe valve covers if you use the stock intercooler tubes. The oil inlet is on the other side of the engine to make room for the upper tube. If you make your own intercooler tubes, you may be able to go around it, though I'd still change them to make it easier.

i wouldnt

I wouldnt say hes asking the wrong ppl-some of us (ehhhemmmmmm-ME) have done the swap with success-lol-its a pita, but here goes

yes-you need the sc throttle cable, and bracket for that matter to make things easiest-that way you dont have to mod any cables or make a bracket-it all bolts in and works fine. unsure about the mustang valvecovers, i used the sc ones, theyre cheap enough-get a set (94-95 use the channel in the v/c to make gasket placement easier). use ALL the sc brackets on the front of the engine-the mustang drive belt uses fewer ribs than the sc, so at the very least youd have to change the pully-easiest to use the tried and true method of using all the brackets id say. as far as the ac-the mustang lines wont fit onto the sc ac compressor without major bends-so thats a no go-at the very least id say youll need to fab up your own ac lines, or have some made-unsure if the sc ones work, i know they go into the accumulator differently-maybe if you used all the parts from the sc you could do something.

good luck, dont even attempt to drive it without a tune and a chip-just wont work-lol-Mike

Charkly said:
I wouldnt say hes asking the wrong ppl-some of us (ehhhemmmmmm-ME) have done the swap with success-lol-its a pita, but here goes

yes-you need the sc throttle cable, and bracket for that matter to make things easiest-that way you dont have to mod any cables or make a bracket-it all bolts in and works fine. unsure about the mustang valvecovers, i used the sc ones, theyre cheap enough-get a set (94-95 use the channel in the v/c to make gasket placement easier). use ALL the sc brackets on the front of the engine-the mustang drive belt uses fewer ribs than the sc, so at the very least youd have to change the pully-easiest to use the tried and true method of using all the brackets id say. as far as the ac-the mustang lines wont fit onto the sc ac compressor without major bends-so thats a no go-at the very least id say youll need to fab up your own ac lines, or have some made-unsure if the sc ones work, i know they go into the accumulator differently-maybe if you used all the parts from the sc you could do something.

good luck, dont even attempt to drive it without a tune and a chip-just wont work-lol-Mike

so you need every single pulley and every single bracket from the front of the engine?

Charkly said:
as far as the ac-the mustang lines wont fit onto the sc ac compressor without major bends-so thats a no go-at the very least id say youll need to fab up your own ac lines, or have some made-unsure if the sc ones work, i know they go into the accumulator differently-maybe if you used all the parts from the sc you could do something.

why doesnt the mustang AC work? what gets in the way?

novaspyder said:
why doesnt the mustang AC work? what gets in the way?

Nothing really gets in the way. what you have to do is use the accy brackets of the SC...by doing that you are changing the location of the A/C compressor. Even if it is a minor change (I don't know where the compressor is on the mustang), the plumbing won't line up. I don't see why the compressor, condensor, etc wouldn't work from a SC on the mustang. Let me know if you need any of the parts...I've got some on my parts SC.

007_SuperCoupe said:
Nothing really gets in the way. what you have to do is use the accy brackets of the SC...by doing that you are changing the location of the A/C compressor. Even if it is a minor change (I don't know where the compressor is on the mustang), the plumbing won't line up. I don't see why the compressor, condensor, etc wouldn't work from a SC on the mustang. Let me know if you need any of the parts...I've got some on my parts SC.

where can i get a AC delete kit

I don't know that there is an A/C delete kit for the SC. I've heard of a few people making thier own, and they may have it available. As far as your more mainstream parts suppliers, I don't know of anyone who has one available. Most simply gut the compressor and leave it attached to the accy bracket.

so what do you think my best bet would be to do since im a mustang owner... buy a SC air conditioning unit and replace my mustang one?

If you want A/C then yeah, get one from a SC. Should work out fine, but you may want to check some of the V6 mustang sites as there are a few who have swapped an entire SC engine into their mustang. You'll have a lot better luck there. There's a couple who hang around here, but on the who, it's just us SC guys.

If you don't want A/C then just gut the compressor and bolt it up on the bracket. Keep in mind though that you won't have defrost above 40* or so either.

My car is a 94 so some things might be different. When i dropped the SC motor in i had the A/C compressor sitting off to the side still closed loop. I drilled and tapped the SC accessory bracket to fit the mustang compressor that has a different bolt pattern. I bought a clutch kit from Autozone that came with the larger coil proper clutch, and proper rib pulley ( around 60 bucks) Once i got it mounted i made some tools to bend the A/C lines away from the frame rail.
At first i used the stock stang throttle cable and CC, i had to modify the 70mm BBK tb for a GT and make a bracket to hold the cable. I now am trying to use a Taraus TC since its a few inches shorter and shoud fit better.

so there is a different number of ribs on the mustang and SC pullys? if so wont i need like a new cam pully as well as an alternator one? i didnt see that listed on the list of parts needed on v6power...

Back