Cleaning Block Surfaces?

So, do I just put the gasket over all that **** on the block's surface or do I use something to clean it off? Someone has to know this!

i can tell you what i use. i use a wire wheel on my drill. it's a cast block and really hard to hurt. the heads are the fragile part seeing as they are aluminum. if you have big chunks of old gasket and you have an easy hand you can use a wood chisle. i am sure others have there own method but this is what i do. Bill

Get a gasket scraper and a can of gasket remover, about $5 for both.
A wood chisel - say goodbye to the chisel, razor blades are much cheaper but definately not as strong.

Aaron

I use a gasket scraper for the big stuff and a razor blade to get the last bits off. Whatever you do make sure the block deck is impeccably clean.

A can of gasket remover or oven cleaner or aircraft paint remover and lots of scraping and elbow grease can be used to clean the iron parts of gaskets. Don't get any of it on your cam bearings or it will eat them. I like a wire brush, nylon bristle brushes, gun barrel (oil galleries) brushes and tooth brushes too. I use varsol and then laundry detergent to clean it up, followed by the pressure washer.

Here is a danger. If you don't get every lick of water off the block you wll have rust, so I finish rinse with very hot water and dry everyting off with rags, flipping the block over often to dry everything. I pull clean gun patches thru the oil galleries and then finish with patches of Fluid Film rust preservative and a light spray of the block. This will hold it while waiting machining etc.

After machining I go through it all again but it is much easier and quicker. You can assemble the engine with clean hands.

Steve Best

hey, you use what you want. i'll use what i want.I have a wood chisle on my bench, nice and sharp. didn't need to buy it, already had it. Bill::D

Back