PDA

View Full Version : Repeted Fuse Blowouts

darkautmn
06-20-2005, 04:25 PM
The fuse to my interior lights keeps on blowing out. This started about 2 months ago and every time I change the fuse, it is blown within the next week. I was putting the yellow 20 fuses in and I also tried a orange 30 fuse but it still blew out. This is really frustrating and I cannot figure out what's wrong. If anyone knows what I can do please tell me. Also, could this be related to a much bigger problem... I think it is the only fuse blowing out though.

J.D.
06-20-2005, 08:46 PM
You may have a short to ground when the wires to a lamp or switch constantly flex. Since the fuse takes a few days to blow, the short is either intermittent (e.g. at the wires near the door hinge that bend when the door is opened) or is in the wires to a lamp that is used occasionally (e.g. the engine compartment light).
I would start by turning on the dome lamp as that will give a visual indication when the fuse blows. Then open and close the hood, trunklid, and doors, and rotate the sun visors. Do this a number of times and observe when the dome lamp goes off.
Use a 15 amp fuse. A higher amperage rating can damage your wiring and even cause a fire.

darkautmn
06-24-2005, 01:15 PM
You may have a short to ground when the wires to a lamp or switch constantly flex. Since the fuse takes a few days to blow, the short is either intermittent (e.g. at the wires near the door hinge that bend when the door is opened) or is in the wires to a lamp that is used occasionally (e.g. the engine compartment light).
I would start by turning on the dome lamp as that will give a visual indication when the fuse blows. Then open and close the hood, trunklid, and doors, and rotate the sun visors. Do this a number of times and observe when the dome lamp goes off.
Use a 15 amp fuse. A higher amperage rating can damage your wiring and even cause a fire.

Thankyou. I will definately do this. ^_^