91 Sc

100mhz

:confused: i was looking at a 91 sc with 138K on the odometer. Took it out for a test drive, and she seemed ok. But i have a few questions. 1: when braking car brakes and stops fine but the brakes red light on the dash flashes. 2: the air conditioner cycled on and off alot, and not very cold air came out. The temp said 60 and i pushed the max a/c button. it HAS been retrofited to R134a. Also the radio is the JBL and did noting but turn on or off. volume and tuner, etc didnt work. Is the head unit shot? found one on ebay $10 any help and suguestions would be appreciated

Well the brake flashing is a new one for me, so I don't know. The A/C if its cycling on and off needs more R-134a added its probably got a slight leak as most do on retrofits. The headunit is a P.O.S. you'd be better off going aftermarket.

100mhz said:
:confused: i was looking at a 91 sc with 138K on the odometer. Took it out for a test drive, and she seemed ok. But i have a few questions. 1: when braking car brakes and stops fine but the brakes red light on the dash flashes. 2: the air conditioner cycled on and off alot, and not very cold air came out. The temp said 60 and i pushed the max a/c button. it HAS been retrofited to R134a. Also the radio is the JBL and did noting but turn on or off. volume and tuner, etc didnt work. Is the head unit shot? found one on ebay $10 any help and suguestions would be appreciated

The brake question: the resiviour is low on fluid. There is a level sensor in there and as the fluid sloshes back and forth it will make the dash light blink. My 91 does it, and I need to get off my rear and add a little fluid to it.

The JBL question: yep, the head unit is junk, as Scott said. After market would probibly server you best. But if you can get a used one for 10 bucks that works, that sounds like it will work too. Check the wiring, they might have pulled an old aftermarket head unit out and just not reconnected the stock unit correctly.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I did check the brake fluid level along with the rest of the fluids. they were fine. so baybe a bad sensor or fuid sloshing arround. I however am looking at this as my first car, and the guy wants too much (almost double book value) for a car that needs probably $500 worth of work to make it decent. Thanks for all your help though. This forum helped me learn alot about these tbirds. Thanks, Chris

Check the parking brake lever, as it uses the same red brake light gage notification.

I would try and buy the car as cheap as possible because you are going to be spending a lot of time and money fixing all these little problems.

Jerry

Back