(Another) Quick question about TC's

LJGriggs

I did a search and found a lot of info on various types of torque converters for the SC's AOD (locking vs non-locking, a wide range of stall speeds, etc). What I didn't find was specifications on the original stock TC that came with the SC AOD. I'm having a tranny built with the typical upgrades and the TC is the last piece of the puzzle. My SC is a "daily driver", never been on the track. I would like to find out about the stock unit so that I can determine if I should upgrade. My goal is to optimize the street performance without jeopardizing the driveability and efficiency. Sorry if this info is already posted somewhere, I didn't find it...

I have seen 2 different stock converters. There is no way to tell what you have from the outside. I think the 89 and 90's have the higher stall ,but I won't swear by it. Most of them have the lower stall unit which will stall 1500-1800. And all stock aod converters have direct drive.
Alan

Stock converter is a lock-up converter with a stall speed of approx 1800 rpm. If you're going for drivability and economy, then you want to stick with the stock specs. You may want to go a head with an aftermarket unit since the stock one starts to balloon at around 5k rpm...or so I've been told.

And if all your mods are listed in your sig, then a stock style converter will suit you well. Upgrading the torque converter is something that should be done farther down the mods list. I have close to all the bolt on mods you can have, and I'm not even really ready to upgrade yet. If I do, I'll mainly be going from a lock up converter to a non-lock-up one, just to get the extra torque at the track. Other than that, everything else will remain the same.

One thing that you don't want to do, if you have economy in mind, is get a converter with a stall speed of greater than your normal cruising rpms. Then the converter is always slipping, creating undue heat, and throwing fuel economy out the window. So if you do upgrade, keep the stall below the rpms that you normally drive at (i.e. 60 mph = 1900 rpm, etc).

Back