whats the next mod?

trife86

sup guys well i have a 89auto rebuilt motor only like 1000miles on it so far, and i have the flowmaster's, removed resonator, shift kit, and a 5%OD.

i was wondering what is a good idea for the next go fast mod, i was thinking definatly a IC fan with the summer weather than i was looking at the texas thunderbird dragpipes, they look great for the price
http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/index/parts/8995pipes2136.jpg

i was wondering if any of you got these and there a good part to invest on?

Well I have a fan but I'm not convinced it's all that great an investment. I will suggest you upgrade your throttle body and MAF now. The drag pipes are a good idea also.

It looks like you've opened your exhaust (is it a catback Flowmaster system or just Flowmaster muffs?) and are overdriving your SC. The next thing I would do is work on the intake side. Perhaps the MP 3" or 3.5" intake with a larger throttle body. Biggest bangs for your buck I believe come from the MP 85MM intake plenum and a MPII blower. If you did nothing else to your car but spend $500 for the plenum, $650-800 for the blower conversion, and $150 for cold air intake and $300-$350 for new throttle body you'd be a happy guy with power to satisfy your need for speed. Throw larger injectors in and/or a larger fuel pump and you've done it for under $2,000. :D

Or you could bust out the dremmel and grind out your inlet to match a new throttle body... you know, just to save a couple hundred bucks.

Hell I need to do that... :)

pablon2 said:
It looks like you've opened your exhaust (is it a catback Flowmaster system or just Flowmaster muffs?) and are overdriving your SC. The next thing I would do is work on the intake side. Perhaps the MP 3" or 3.5" intake with a larger throttle body. Biggest bangs for your buck I believe come from the MP 85MM intake plenum and a MPII blower. If you did nothing else to your car but spend $500 for the plenum, $650-800 for the blower conversion, and $150 for cold air intake and $300-$350 for new throttle body you'd be a happy guy with power to satisfy your need for speed. Throw larger injectors in and/or a larger fuel pump and you've done it for under $2,000. :D

yea its the flowmaster system, i was thinking the drag pipes cause people do say the cats are the most restrictive part right now?

trife86 said:
yea its the flowmaster system, i was thinking the drag pipes cause people do say the cats are the most restrictive part right now?

Drag pipes wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't plan to do headers, might be a tight fit otherwise. SCP sells high-flow cats if you want to keep them. Otherwise, people have been known to hollow them out if they need to make it appear as though they have cats.

well i dont plan to do headers or at least not for awhile, and with 3.73's i heard if you dont rebuild your trak lok, its not going to last too long if you like to play with the go pedal. is that something that sounds resonable?

The drag pipes will help your exhaust a lot. The stock cats have a sharp 90 degree bend going into them and they have pinches on both sides. I still say drag pipes, throttle body (70-75mm maybe), MAF, and if you have time and a dremmel grind out the inlet to match a bigger throttle body.

trife86 said:
well i dont plan to do headers or at least not for awhile, and with 3.73's i heard if you dont rebuild your trak lok, its not going to last too long if you like to play with the go pedal. is that something that sounds resonable?

I would agree that it's a good idea to install new clutches, "S" spring and axle shaft seals while installing the gears. The cost of installing those parts while it's apart is very cheap.

IMO, Gears are still the most bang for the buck mod you can do on an SC. The car will accelerate better from any speed and will feel about 500 lbs lighter. The additional fuel consumption is only noticable on long highway trips. Even then it only uses slightly more fuel than running with stock gears.

I've caravaned with a group of 6 or 7 SCs and XR7s a couple times. When it came time for everyone to fill up..there was usually less than a half gallon differince in what it took to top off all the tanks.

Some cars had heavily modded motors and non locking converters w/ 4.10s or 3.73 gears and some were close to stock. Some were driven harder and faster (playing with other cars on the highway) and some just rolled along at 85-90 mph. It just didn't make much of a differince...they all used about the same amount of fuel.

David

Dang, James never put a gear in this thing. I have a 3.27 ring and pinion but am shopping around for cheapest way to have it put in without myself doing it.

Back