Still Moding Exhaust

SK_BlownThunder

This may be a rediculous question coming from somebody like me with decent knowledge with these cars. I have a 1990 SC 5-speed. What is the real purpose of the rear mufflers on these cars? If I take them off and just slip on some tail pipes to flow under the body skirt (with straight pipes it would blow against inside of body skirt and probably deform the plastic mould), what would the exhaust sound like. Is it worth it, or would I lose MPG and horsepower?

Also, how much can you mod the intake before actually having to upgrade from stock exhaust? Where would I start? Cone or panel K&N? This qestion still bugs me. If I went with the cone, would the entire air box and silencer come out or would this still be used for a heat deflector?

I could use the input. Thanks,

Brett

Removing the muffler would only make it louder...the main exhaust flow restrictions are from the resonator, the cats and the undersized single pipe.

Don't waste your money on a K&N panel filter because it only adds about 1 HP. Removing the air silencer adds about 3 HP and going to a cone filter isn't going to add anything unless the filter was the most restrictive part of your intake system. It's not..the stock MAF, TB, Inlet plenum and stock supercharger are all more restrictive.

David

Back