PDA

View Full Version : 3.8 SC transplant into Fox bodied Mustang

ironhead85
06-21-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm considering an engine conversion for my 86 Mustang SVO. This is probably a bad idea, and the SVOOA guys will probably want my hide, but I see some logic in it. If I can find a later (94, or 95) parts car with a decent motor and standard transmission, it is way more cost effective to make 300 hp than beefing up my 2.3 turbo. I dont think the weight penalty is too bad considering my cast iron cylinder head, and turbo assy.

The advantages that I see are in torque off of the line, and I'm sure the Mazda tranny has a silky smooth hydraulic clutch setup. My car has 3.73 gears, you run out of first gear at 15 mph ugh! Turbo lag is hideous, and boost comes on like being bludgeoned to death.

What do you guys think, is there any fatal flaw in my logic? What is involved in isolating the ECU, and are there any serious technical challenges to overcome?

[email protected]

DriftingThunder
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Well of course many people will say if you're going to swap make it a V8, but most people would say keep it turbo 4.

The biggest hit against this swap in my opinion is the standard M5R2 transmission. I wouldn't take the trouble to use it because it's not too bad but not too good once you start making lotsa power.

I know I've seen some SVO Stangs and Turbo Coupes run considerably faster than my car. I would just mod it as is. You'd save money in the end and nobody would hate you for killing an SVO. Besides, the blowers on these cars suck.

cudaz101
06-22-2005, 08:51 AM
A friend of mine has done up an SVO with a SC longblock and twin turbos blowing through an air/water IC...I have not heard what kind of power it makes. He was hoping for 400+rwhp...Would not surprise me if he made his goal at all.

Brad

gspacerant
06-22-2005, 09:17 AM
also be warned that if you go with an m5r2, which has quite aggressive gearing (less so on the 94/95's but still) you will definately not want to keep the 3.73's, 3.27s or 3.55s probably, depending on what you're after.

ironhead85
06-22-2005, 11:55 AM
also be warned that if you go with an m5r2, which has quite aggressive gearing (less so on the 94/95's but still) you will definately not want to keep the 3.73's, 3.27s or 3.55s probably, depending on what you're after.

I would definitely be changing the rear gears to 3.25 - 3.50 probably in an 8.8" housing. The 7.5" rear end is not worthy of rebuild for any serious power. Unfortunately I need to come up with 5-lug axels or used the 7.5 axels.

ironhead85
06-22-2005, 12:00 PM
A friend of mine has done up an SVO with a SC longblock and twin turbos blowing through an air/water IC...I have not heard what kind of power it makes. He was hoping for 400+rwhp...Would not surprise me if he made his goal at all.

Brad

Maybe an aftermarket intake set and single turbocharger, there's lots of choices in turbochargers engineered for Buick 3800's.

ironhead85
06-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Well of course many people will say if you're going to swap make it a V8, but most people would say keep it turbo 4.

The biggest hit against this swap in my opinion is the standard M5R2 transmission. I wouldn't take the trouble to use it because it's not too bad but not too good once you start making lotsa power.

I know I've seen some SVO Stangs and Turbo Coupes run considerably faster than my car. I would just mod it as is. You'd save money in the end and nobody would hate you for killing an SVO. Besides, the blowers on these cars suck.

You might be right,

I was looking for reasons to shoot down this swap idea, but it still works for me so far.

Thanx.

V6Sprout
06-22-2005, 02:15 PM
if you use the SC tranny expect the shifter to be almost directly beside you, the SC tranny is longer and won't line up with your shifter opening. Use a T5 from a 5.0 Mustang it will bolt up perfectly to the SC motor and will be stronger as well.

DriftingThunder
06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
I agree use a T-5.

Well I'm not gonna shoot down this swap any more, I said what I said and if it still sounds good that's perfectly fine because I bet that'd be one of the most badass V6 Mustangs in your area. :D

V6Sprout
06-22-2005, 05:19 PM
the SC motors in the stangs are damn fast, I have one in my 94, although it never runs cause I am always doing something to it, right now it has a leaky rear main seal. BUt in a fox it would be even faster since the foxes are lighter. The fun part will be the wiring, Supersixmotorsports just put a stroked 3.8 in an 88 notch and they had a fun time with the wiring, but that car runs 12.0 all motor and 10.5 with a 90hp shot of nitrous, stroked 3.8 to a 4.3L