PDA

View Full Version : ported header good enough?

kwikcoupe
06-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Well thats about it. Im going to be going thorigh the car again and on my list is a ported set of exhaust manilfold from texas thunderbirds. Im wondering if this will partially or even help the problem of the xhaust backpressure that is present on the sc's. My car is absically stock minus the removed silencer and the panel filter (woo hoo). Anyway, Ive got a 73mm maf adn was planning on going with a 5-10% overdrive sc pulley. Is this going to be ok with the ported manifold or is too much and im going to pop my hgs again?

If the ported headers help, how much or what can you add before it becomes a problem again assuming the rest of the exhaust is bone stock. Ive read the search data and it states there good for 300 hp but is that with just the maifolds or with more work done to the exhasut also, (for those that I may have confused Im not saying this mod is going to get me 300 hp)

thanks Mike

kenewagner
06-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Well thats about it. Im going to be going thorigh the car again and on my list is a ported set of exhaust manilfold from texas thunderbirds. Im wondering if this will partially or even help the problem of the xhaust backpressure that is present on the sc's. My car is absically stock minus the removed silencer and the panel filter (woo hoo). Anyway, Ive got a 73mm maf adn was planning on going with a 5-10% overdrive sc pulley. Is this going to be ok with the ported manifold or is too much and im going to pop my hgs again?

If the ported headers help, how much or what can you add before it becomes a problem again assuming the rest of the exhaust is bone stock. Ive read the search data and it states there good for 300 hp but is that with just the maifolds or with more work done to the exhasut also, (for those that I may have confused Im not saying this mod is going to get me 300 hp)

thanks Mike

You should invest in a set of T birds down tubes instead and get rid of the stock cats if you can do it in your area and do away with the little resonator and go with one a lot bigger. Those two spots in the exhaust are the big restricters There are a lot of Mods you can do before you go to ported manifolds. I did my complete exaust first before I did anything else and so far I have not blown any head gaskets. Dont go to a 5 or 10% pully unless your whole exhaust system is flowing good. There are some great threads of the order in which you should mod your car to get the most bang for the buck

Ken