PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Issue - Driving me Nuts !

dkmccarty5
06-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Items replaced: thermostat, radiator cap, complete flush/fill/burp of system. No evidence of water in the oil. No white smoke. Going down the road at normal speeds, the car is fine. The idiot gauge stays in the cool range - below the mid-point. When I come to a stop for 1 minute or longer, the temp gauge starts to climb - and goes hot until the fan kicks on. After about 5 minutes of getting back up to speed, the gauge will go back down to cool. Any ideas ? Is it possible that the radiator is plugged ?

007_SuperCoupe
06-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Sounds about right for a stock cooling system on our precious SC's.

The best thing that can be done is to get a chip where the fan turns on at 180* (with a similar thermostat). Down side is your fan will run more. Upside is that you can get your SC tuned with that chip as well.

There are a few things that you can do to help keep the car running cooler. One thing to remember is that the temp increases are not just due to our cooling system. The higher the intake temp, the hotter the car will run. I suggest at a minimum an IC fan (with a shroud), and wrap the lower IC tube with header wrap. During the warm months, you can use a 25% anitfreeze to 75% water mix with a bottle of water wetter. This WILL decrease engine temps. However, in idling conditions, you will still get warm, it just won't take as long to cool it back off. You can also purchase a Grand Am air dam (for less than $15) that is taller and wider than the stock airdam at the bottom of the bumper. That really helps when you're driving as well.

Another thing to consider, but it costs considerably more is a more efficient IC. A well designed 2x IC will work as well as a FMIC. In addition to that, the SNOW performance acohol injection kit will further reduce intake temps. You would also be good if you looked at getting a better radiator. Mike 38SC makes a good radiator as well as Griffin (available from SCP).

There's a lot to consider when attempting to reduce engine temps for daily driving. Unfortunately it's really not a "buy this product" and your cooling issues will be gone. There are so many different variables that affect engine temp, that you need to address them all. I gave you the low cost items, followed by the more expensive fixes as well. The chip will cost almost as much as a 2x IC or the alcohol injection kit. but is a definate good step in the right direction.

And if you are wondering, I've done all that I have listed, plus just a little more, exept for the snow perfomance kit and the aftermarket radiator. Both of which are on my list of future mods...hopefully very near future as well. Only in extreme idling followed by relatively high boost brings my operating temps over 180*. The dummy guage now is always below the "N."

dkmccarty5
06-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks Sam ! Your input is greatly appreciated. The car was fine until I had the cooling system flushed and filled. Almost immediately thereafter, it started to act up. Make me suspicious !

SilverCasket
06-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Goto a parts store & get something called WATER WETTER ... Should drop your temps quite a bit. .. In the summer I like to run JUST distilled water & water wetter. .. And just drop a 50/50 mix for the winter.

Anthony