putting a 94 engine in a 90

shmeeman

i have just recieved a semi complete engine out of a 94 5-speed and want to install it my 35th.what can i use and can't be used.

Also will my AOD tranny bolt up to this block

I think you'd be better off swapping the injectors and blower than the entire engine.
The earlier engines have a better cam than the 94/95.

A cam is an easy swap, besides the cam isn't going to make as mich difference as the added compression, windage tray, larger oil pump, "better" heads, and a few other things.

The dampner will have to be changed as well as the crank sensor, other than that I don't remember anything else that is that big of a deal besides the low oil sensor that is not on the late model engine.

Jeff

J57ltr said:
A cam is an easy swap, besides the cam isn't going to make as mich difference as the added compression, windage tray, larger oil pump, "better" heads, and a few other things.

The dampner will have to be changed as well as the crank sensor, other than that I don't remember anything else that is that big of a deal besides the low oil sensor that is not on the late model engine.

Jeff

And it's got 20 more horse power than the early models.

You will need to swap timing covers, crank sensor mounting location is different. 89-93 uses bracket that bolts to block and hangs over front of cover. 94-95 bolts directly to timing cover and mounts higher on cover. Ask me how I know, just put 93 engine block and heads into a 94 5spd. Need a scanner I took many comparison pictures of both covers side by side. Not to bad to do fairly easy swap. Just gather all needed gaskets.

Willy W
94 5spd
92 5spd

No need to swap timing covers

Willy said:
You will need to swap timing covers, crank sensor mounting location is different. 89-93 uses bracket that bolts to block and hangs over front of cover. 94-95 bolts directly to timing cover and mounts higher on cover. Ask me how I know, just put 93 engine block and heads into a 94 5spd. Need a scanner I took many comparison pictures of both covers side by side. Not to bad to do fairly easy swap. Just gather all needed gaskets.

Willy W
94 5spd
92 5spd

I put a entire 94 longblock in my 93SC and the timing covers do have the mounting holes for the crank sensor (on mine they were full off dirt and hard to see) but you will need the crank sensor bracket, HB and wire harness from the early model engine. Otherwise it is a very easy swap.

I thought all the balancers were similar? Why is it that the BHJ can be used on all years?

Also the heads I am pretty sure are the same. There is a windage tray in the late model engine, and the blower inlet and porting more than likely made the horsepower increase. Pistons are the same.

Heads have revised coolant passages, and thicker deck.

At one time there were 2 different BHJ dampners for the early and late engines. They may have changed them so that they are universal. As far as the pistons are concerned there is a difference in compression between the early and late engines.

Jeff

doug93sc said:
I put a entire 94 longblock in my 93SC and the timing covers do have the mounting holes for the crank sensor (on mine they were full off dirt and hard to see) but you will need the crank sensor bracket, HB and wire harness from the early model engine. Otherwise it is a very easy swap.
Sorry about the above post 94 block in a 90 will work, the three bolts holes are there to bolt sensor bracket to. If you were putting 90 engine into 94 similar to what I did then you would need to swap covers. Sorry about the above post do not mean to cause any confusion.

Back