are true dule pipes on an SC good for exhaust flow?

walter89

on my exhaust i have true dule pipes all the way from the manifolds back to the mufflers. the pipes are 2" in diameter. the manifolds are also ported to about 2" also. i was just wondering if the exhaust setup is good for a free flowing exhaust becuase i was wanting to install a 5% sc pulley and wanted to make sure it is safe to run with the type of exhuast setup that is currently on my car.

thanks

andrew

Dule pipes, huh?

walter89 said:
on my exhaust i have true dule pipes all the way from the manifolds back to the mufflers. the pipes are 2" in diameter. the manifolds are also ported to about 2" also. i was just wondering if the exhaust setup is good for a free flowing exhaust becuase i was wanting to install a 5% sc pulley and wanted to make sure it is safe to run with the type of exhuast setup that is currently on my car.
You don't mention if you are using cats (OEM or Hi-Flo?), resonator, what kind of mufflers you're using, or your plans for future mods. Are those dual pipes mandrel bent or common crimp bend?

You'll be safe with a 5% & dual 2" pipes. Your dual 2.0" pipes will outflow the OEM exhaust, which had less than 4.9 sq. in. of flow area down the center tube!

Assuming mandrel bent, you have 2 x 3.14 sq. in. of flow area. Dual 2.5" pipes would have given you: 2 x 4.9 sq. in. of flow area. Obviously 2.5" pipes would have been better (flow wise) choice, BUT you've already paid for everything, so no sense in re-inventing the wheel now.

68COUGAR

the tubes im usuing are not mandrell bent. but i do have high flow cats. for mufflers im usuing dynomax ultra flow mufflers. there is no resonator. the pipes are just side by side all the way back

walter89 said:
the tubes im usuing are not mandrell bent. but i do have high flow cats. for mufflers im usuing dynomax ultra flow mufflers. there is no resonator. the pipes are just side by side all the way back

you should get a hpipe or xpipe in there that way you could get better tq alos post some pics man lets take a look at that dual set up

Re: "True Duals"

MySCRocket1203 said:
you should get a hpipe or xpipe in there that way you could get better tq
I agree completely, but lots of people seem to be hung up on "True Duals". By defination "True Duals" don't have any type of X or H pipe.

Actually the 2-1-2 exhaust is the "Best" IF the center section is big enough to flow the same as both down pipes. With dual 2.0" down pipes (6.28 sq. in.), you'd need a 3" center section (7.06 sq. in.).

68COUGAR

MySCRocket1203 said:
you should get a hpipe or xpipe in there that way you could get better tq alos post some pics man lets take a look at that dual set up

I don't think that an X pipe or H pipe gets you any different dyno #'s over true dual. I'd like to see the results on the dyno.

I've got true dual 2-1/2" and my torque was plenty high for the mods that I have. I pulled 340 rwtq at about 3200 rpm because I started my pull at 3k rpm. I believe that my tq #'s could have been a bit higher given the opportunity to get a dyno pull from 1800 rpm. And I don't think that I have any spectacular mods. I'm running a lot of traditional bolt-ons with a home ported supercharger and inlet plenum.

And speaking with the exhaust shop, tuners, etc on whether a cross pipe of some type would benefit me, all of them said no. So take it for what it's worth. I'm running true duals and have not seen any lack or lesser torque than others with similar mods and different exhaust.

im by o means an expert i heard it gave better low end tq but i dont really know or can proove that maybe someon whos been all up and down these cars knows better ahha. i also heard that the x or h pipe or resonator gives a better sound. ill tell you waht ill do cuz i have the pipe ill go straight duals and go for a drive and then ill gow iwth my x pipe and see if i can tel a difference. ill post later after i get teh work done.

MySCRocket1203 said:
im by o means an expert i heard it gave better low end tq but i dont really know or can proove that maybe someon whos been all up and down these cars knows better ahha. i also heard that the x or h pipe or resonator gives a better sound. ill tell you waht ill do cuz i have the pipe ill go straight duals and go for a drive and then ill gow iwth my x pipe and see if i can tel a difference. ill post later after i get teh work done.

A crossover pipe of some sort does help minimize the resonance, but I highly suspect that it gives any performance value one way or the other. I'm looking at doing an X pipe just to help with the drone, but so far I haven't. The drone isn't too bad on my SC...

A crossover pipe also greatly helps to equalize the pressure between both sides of the exhaust, which can definitely help dyno numbers depending on the car. I have 2.25" exhaust with an x-pipe and I think it sounds good and flows decently enough, just isn't as loud as I'd like but I am pretty certain it's because I still have the stock manifolds. I would rather have 2.5" exhaust though. ;)

thanks guys for the info. my exhaust has somewhat of a drone to it but its not that bad. so if i put in an x-pipe that will reduce that drone/buzzing sound? and it will also allow me to run that 5% pully?

With any sort of cat-back system a 5% pulley should be just fine I would think. Work on getting better cats or deleting them though, just for good measure. ;)

When I had the Force II system put on mine I opted not to have the resonator put in just did an X pipe instead...and it does drone a low mello tone...but it does not buzz... ;)

Back