engine cutting out

PilotYFZ

My 90 sc started cutting out under hard acceleration and now its getting worse it cuts out even under normal acceleration I tried putting on a new fuel filter, what next?

Plugs & Wires???

Bad plugs or a wire that has crack insulation will cause sputtering. If you can pull the fault codes from the computer, that may point to a cause. Could be the DIS going bad... There are a lot of possible causes. Start with the basics and go from there. If you replace the plugs & wires and that doesn't correct it, no harm done...they would need to be replaced eventually.

i would try plugs and wires if that doesnt help could be clogged cats or bad harmonic balancer

I just fixed my 89 that was doing the same thing. Turned out to be the check valve in the fuel pump.. Put a fuel pressure guage on the fuel rail, jumper the diag connector to activate the fuel pump. You should then get 40 psi, turn key off, the pressure should stay for 3 min.. If not disconnect return line, plug the fuel rail return line and retest. If it still drops, FP /check valve, if ok then Pressure regulator..

Back