I just lost my brakes. Need some info.

Jeremy_K

I came out of the store and started my car and the ABS and red brake light came on. Usually they only come on for 1/2 minute in the morning. I started driving and the lights stayed on. Everything seemed normal for a few red lights then all of a sudden the pedal got rock hard and I almost rear ended someone. I pulled over and checked my Master cylinder out. No leaks. The fluid mysteriously rose though. I usually keep it right at the fill mark and now it's almost to the top. i have a spare ABS system if that's the problem. Does it need a new relay? It's not very safe to drive at all. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
Thanks David, I'm gonna go out to the garage right now and check the relay first. My ignition switch has been acting up lately too. I've gone through 3 in the 2 years i've owned my car! :mad:

Well, low and behold... another busted ignition switch! :mad: I love the way they put plastic together with metal and expect it to hold! I wish they would just make the whole thing metal. I'm getting good at changing these out. It takes me about 5 minutes now. :mad: Hopefully that is the source of my brake probs. Guys, for future reference, If your ignition is hard to turn or you need to twist or jiggle it to start, replace the ignition switch ASAP. It will leave you stranded or jack up your brakes at the worst time!

NMxr7SC said:
Well, low and behold... another busted ignition switch! :mad: I love the way they put plastic together with metal and expect it to hold! I wish they would just make the whole thing metal. I'm getting good at changing these out. It takes me about 5 minutes now. :mad: Hopefully that is the source of my brake probs. Guys, for future reference, If your ignition is hard to turn or you need to twist or jiggle it to start, replace the ignition switch ASAP. It will leave you stranded or jack up your brakes at the worst time!

Hope that's all it is. That would be a cheap and easier fix.

Glad it was another easy fix...been there too..almost killed the guy on the motorcycle in front of me at the stop light.. :eek: ...these are some crappy ignition switches... :rolleyes:

Wellll......

I spoke too soon. I went out to drive my car again later this afternoon and Bingo, No brakes and 2 idiot lights. I tested the pump with my 12V drill battery and it was spent :mad: . Luckily I had my whole ABS unit that I got from a junkyard car. I tested that pump and it worked. So, I just got done swapping them by myself. It took 3-4 hours. Overall, it's not a hard job. You need to be a contortionist to get under that dash and loosen the 4 nuts! The new system seems to be working but now my brakes need to be bled. At least the lights went out and the pump is charging the accumulator. Thank god for that donor car that went to heaven. $15 aint bad for a working ABS system! :cool:

No thats a steal for the ABS unit...glad you had a spare..You gotta be a contortionist to get to most things on these cars.. :D

Back