Brake/antilock lights staying on

matteo

So I’ve searched the forums and read different things about this problem, but it seems there could be a few different things wrong so I’ll describe my specific situation and hopefully you guys can help me out.

When I start my car, the brake and antilock lights will stay on, and the firm ride light will not come on. If I power cycle the car a few times I can usually get all the lights (including firm ride) to act normal. However if I drive with the break lights on, after about 5 minutes the break pedal wont go in, and I have to push real hard to try and stop the car.

I checked the fluid level and its fine. I thought it might be a relay since power cycles usually fix the problem. But I'm not sure which relay it is, where the relay is located, or if that’s even the problem at all. You guys have any ideas or info that will help me out?

The ABS relay is on the passenger side attached to a bracket by the firewall. It is a brown relay attached to a black cube looking plug. I just pulled mine out a few minutes ago but i think my prob. may be a busted ignition switch.

My problem turned out to be a bad ABS pump motor. My ABS and brake light would stay on for close to a minute when I started the car cold. Finally, one day i was just driving and both lights came on solid and i lost my power brakes. After changing the relay and the broken ignition switch i finally found out it was the pupm motor. Luckily I had another one that i scarfed from a junkyard car.

Back