Black Plastic Door Handles

Super XR7

Can the black plactic door handles be painted? Will they hold up? Are there any sources for paintable door handles? I seem to remember SC Performance or something like that had some for sale.

The 96/97 cars had color matched door handles. That was what Bill and I think Rich at MN12 were selling at one time.

P.S. how's that Cougar coming?

I painted both black on one of mine but I dont remember which car it was. I just used some krylon spray paint. I know it held up perfect till I sold it.
It all in the prep.

SCme said:
The 96/97 cars had color matched door handles. That was what Bill and I think Rich at MN12 were selling at one time.

P.S. how's that Cougar coming?

I was at the junk yard today scavaging for parts and came across a 96 T-bird that had painted door handles. They were different as they protruded out from the door more than I like. But it seems there was someone that was selling some that were paintable and looked like the 89-94 ones.
Cougar is coming along slow but steady. Getting ready to paint it the end of next month.

scbird1 said:
I painted both black on one of mine but I dont remember which car it was. I just used some krylon spray paint. I know it held up perfect till I sold it.
It all in the prep.
I will take my original ones to the painter and see what he thinks about painting them. If you painted them with Krylon and they held up, chances are good that I can get them painted with the car.

SCP sells a product that turns the black door handles and trim black again for $13. Its suppose to last a couple of months. I havent used it yet b/c my car is in the paint shop. Might give that a try.

Super XR7 said:
I was at the junk yard today scavaging for parts and came across a 96 T-bird that had painted door handles. They were different as they protruded out from the door more than I like. But it seems there was someone that was selling some that were paintable and looked like the 89-94 ones.
Cougar is coming along slow but steady. Getting ready to paint it the end of next month.

If you find some like that let us know. I want to color match mine as well, but from what I remember the 96/97 did not have the light around the key hole, like mine on my 94 does.

I can vouch that properly painted OE handles hold up real well when painted with the same paint you put on the car.

XR7 Dave said:
I can vouch that properly painted OE handles hold up real well when painted with the same paint you put on the car.
Great! I will be using a 3 stage PPG paint - I will go with that.
Mike

Back