Supercharger pulley removal

sukha

I went on the MN12 Performance site and printed off the install instructions for removing the blower pulley. The bolt on the front of the pulley seems tooooooo tight and just will not give. Any advice on how to remove it without doing any damage ??? :confused:

I just put a 10% pulley on my car, I used a universal 3 jaw puller, worked great, I had a buddy holding it closed so it wouldn`t slip off, when installing it make sure to only put on till you see 2 threads left on the shaft (do not tighten any more as pulley may bind on supercharger snout and cause damage)

Any problems were just a message away

Garett

Don't bear down on the pulley, you will bend and ruin it. Spray it with WD-40 and have the engine and supercharger cool, not hot. Lightly use the 3-jaw puller, then loosen and rotate 90 degrees. Repeat process. If this still doesn't help getting the pulley to move. Heat the pulley with a hair dryer, it will expand, don't get it so hot that the heat gets transferred to the shaft, if you do, let it cool and start over.

IMO, you do want to tighen it all the way, if it binds, some pulleys will on some snouts, you will need to remove some of the metal off of the supercharger or pulley. Use a dremel on the snout. I had to do this. If you don't tighen it all the way the pulley will not line up with the belts and will cause problems.

Good luck.

Michael

If your having trouble getting the nut off, make sure the belts on and get an impact gun, just make sure its set to loosen, or you dig yourself deeper. just please keep the jaws off that nut. :cool:

Another easy way to get the nut off is to use something on the pully to get you more leverage. For example, when I first pulled off my origional pulley, the nut would not come off at all. What I did was hit it with some liquid wrench and let it sit for about an hour, then I used a pipe wrench and an old belt to hold the pulley without damaging it. After that it's a simple matter of using a 3 jaw puller and slowly pulling the pulley out so you don't bend the edges.

Andrew

Use a 3 jaw, 5 ton puller.. Sure it sounds big, but you need that size to get the reach to the back side of the pulley. Also, reinforce each of the 3 points where the puller meets the pulley; otherwise it will bend the pulley itself.

Yes, need a 5 ton puller as i just rented a 3 ton and its way to small. yay! another trip to the parts store :(

i will take pictures of my install and post them up for anyone who might need help in the future, im also installing the Viton seal and a snap ring. ill post size of snap ring if the one i have works.
would anyone liek to host these pictures for me as it seems i only have a small amount of space here to store images ?
there not big i just wouldnt wanna have to delete them in the future to post some other problem i might have down the road

If you don't have access to an air gun and your existing pulley is the stock type; you can use an open ended wrench (1.1/8" I recall) on the backnut that is part of the pulley face. You can rest the other end of that wrench on a piece of wood on top of your a/c compressor. Then use an 18mm socket and breaker bar (or slip a piece of pipe over your ratchet handle) to remove the front nut. Once you've used the 3 jaw puller to remove the pulley -best to drain the top of the rad. and remove the hose, pipe and t/stat assembly first (personally I've used a 2 jaw puller several times without having to remove the t/stat assembly - but if yours is the first time it's been off then you do seriously risk bending the flange of the pulley - not a problem if you are disgarding it). When you install the new pulley use some anti-sieze on the shaft & some loctite on the locking nut threads. Re-torque that nut to 35 ft.lbs.

First Time Nut

I couldn't get my nut off either, the first time. No amount of breaker bar would do it. BUT....................an Air Impact gun finally did the trick. Even with the impact gun, it took about 10 sec, to get the nut off.

When you use the puller, DON'T try to muscle the pulley off. Soak it in WD40 or (my favorite) PB Blaster. Then put some tension on the puller & go to lunch. After your BLT sandwich, put some more tension on it, & go make love to your GF. Then come back & put some more tension on it. Then go back to the GF (she'll think your really caring). The point is, to let the tension slowly work the pulley off. If you try to FORCE the pulley off, you'll bend it for certain.

When you put the pulley back on, soak the shaft & pulley bore with PB Blaster. That will make it MUCH easier to get off next time.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Back