One of my cylinders isn't firing! HELP!

DriftingThunder

Okay so yesterday morning I wake up early to wash my car and afterwards I head out to take care of some stuff. From the moment I start it up and leave the house it's running badly. It sounds mostly healthy except a very consistant miss on one of the cylinders. It's slow as hell too, like slower than an n/a V6. In fact later that night I decided to see how slow it was and got beat in a short sprint by a car length by a friend's stock 3000GT SL, that's right no turbos...

:confused:

So I decided to check spark first. I would unplug a wire from the coil pack and drive enough to see if it ran any worse. I did that with all 6 cylinders' wires and was hoping one of them wouldn't change the way the car ran. In case that's confusing; if I pulled a wire and the car ran just as good and not any worse, that would mean that that cylinder isn't getting any or enough spark right? Anyways, all 6 disconnections made it run worse so spark is not the issue I do not think. I haven't actually looked at the plugs yet though.

I just went out and thought about checking codes but there's no check engine light so the EEC won't throw any codes anyways. Instead I just bought some injector cleaner and hopefully that should clear it up but if not I am more or less clueless as to what I should do. Any help would be appreciated. TIA!

The computer will throw codes even if thier is no check engine light, have you tried a koer? might be a bad injector, or pretty much anything for that matter.

What's a koer?

I'm gonna start pulling the plugs because I'm pretty certain one of my piston oil rings is blown so maybe a plug is gummed up or something... The injector cleaner didn't do much of anything.

A KOER is a key on engine running test, i forgot to put test after. It basically tests all the sensors and stuff while its running, it also performs a cylinder balance test, I believe it plays around with the fuel squirters on each cylinder, maybe spark too, not sure. there is way you can do this test by grounding out the self test lead and performing some other steps. I would find the instructions in the forums somewhere, print them out, and read them CAREFULLY. Pulling the plugs isint a bad idea, but is hard on the wires.

Cylinder 6 was a little dark, cylinder 5 was wet and oily, and cylinder 4 was lean and the tip on the plug was white. Go figure? Anyways Andy and I got the new plugs in while everyone else was having fun swimming in his pool. Guess that means we are real die hards. We took it for a spin, and everyone in the pool heard his blower whining going down the road and got 2nd and 3rd gear rubber!

Back