Electrical Gremlins

tbone

Wanted to say thanks to this board in general; have learned alot and fixed a few things due to the sharing of knowledge.

Okay, platitude time is over; have a 89 XR7/Auto and some interesting electrical bugaboos have cropped up. Any suggestions are welcome (except burn the car).

1) open doors, no interior lights. They work with the dash switch

2) keyless entry crapped out

3) if you lock the doors w/ the rocker switch and try to open door(s) w/ key, alarm goes off (and can only shut off by disconnecting the battery).

4) both side mirrors have crapped out PARTIALLY (???). They will only work LEFT & UP.

I have checked all fuses and breakers (fuse box & power distribution box);
any ideas?

Thank you,

Tom

Mines doing the same thing.....

I have heard that it could be a grounding problem, ignition switch, or a broken wire somewhere in the wiring harness.....

Not really....

As you know, most electrical problems are quite time consuming to track down.......

I have an EVTM for my car and I intend to track down and kill every single one of these electrical gremlins in this car......

Did the electrical problems come on all at once, or one at a time?

Does the car sit for long periods of time?

Has the interior ever been soaking wet?

I have heard of a problem with the wiring harness that goes under the drivers side carpet that has a branch in the wiring harness that could get broken over time......

I am an "electrical illiterate", but willing to learn......

Thanks for replying. In answer to your questions:

1) the problems came over time

2) the car does sit over the winter.

3) it does smell "musty" in the spring when it's uncovered

4) some water has gotten in as the "genius" I took it to to fix the leak in the moonroof only made it worse (plus they broke the switch).

In addition, the "chimes" don't work anymore either.

Thanks,

T

tbone said:
Wanted to say thanks to this board in general; have learned alot and fixed a few things due to the sharing of knowledge.

Okay, platitude time is over; have a 89 XR7/Auto and some interesting electrical bugaboos have cropped up. Any suggestions are welcome (except burn the car).

1) open doors, no interior lights. They work with the dash switch ( check the switches on the door jamb)
2) keyless entry crapped out ( check for blown fuses)

3) if you lock the doors w/ the rocker switch and try to open door(s) w/ key, alarm goes off [COLOR=Black[COLOR=Blue]](and can only shut off by disconnecting the battery). ( put the key in the drivers door and unlock it with the key, that should turm off the alarm)[/COLOR][/COLOR]
4) both side mirrors have crapped out PARTIALLY (???). They will only work LEFT & UP. (switch is bad, some can be fixed, most cannot, crappy Ford design, a new one is expensive)

I have checked all fuses and breakers (fuse box & power distribution box);
any ideas?

Thank you,

Tom
Thats all I can think of right now, its late

[I have found that the mirror switches and the power door lock switches will corrode or burn on the small contact points. Try taking the mirror switch apart and cleaning the contacts with a small file or little piece of sandpaper. I have had to do this on my XR7 with both the window and door lock switches as they corrode or burn and no longer make proper contact and allow the correct current and amperage through. Try and start with the small stuff first then move on to the big parts. You may have a problem with your keyless entry module, causing your alarm to sound. Just my 2 cents, Rob

Back