motor mounts....how hard?

fastsc92

I think my motor mounts are on their way out....my oil filter is really close to the frame. It touches the oil cooler line clip. I have no problem getting it in or out but i think they aren't going to hold up much longer. I was wondering what tools i need to get them out....can i do it in my garage....or do i need a lift? Should i just raise the motor a little to releave some stress on the bolts then take em out and swap them with new mounts? Or...should i go the easier...more expensive way...bring it somewhere. Let me now soon before my oil lifter gets squished. lol

I think my motor mounts are on their way out....my oil filter is really close to the frame. It touches the oil cooler line clip. I have no problem getting it in or out but i think they aren't going to hold up much longer.
You might still have a while if you're not feeling any vibration while idling in gear.

I was wondering what tools i need to get them out....can i do it in my garage....or do i need a lift? Should i just raise the motor a little to releave some stress on the bolts then take em out and swap them with new mounts?
Tools needed: 2 jacks, jack stands, breaker bar (cheater bar), 3/8" drive 6 sided sockets (13mm and 15mm are essential and1/2" drive is good), 1/2" drive ratchet as you'll need the leverage, Workbench with vise, various other sockets. You don't need a lift, nor do you need to pull the engine. You'll need to raise the engine to gain clearance to remove/install the mounts.

Or...should i go the easier...more expensive way...bring it somewhere. Let me now soon before my oil lifter gets squished. lol
Depends.. If you're mechanically inclinded and have a day or 2 and decent tools, the job's about a 7 on the scale of 1-10 where 1 is changing a light bulb, and 10 is rebuilding the engine. We have a TON of how-to messages on this job. You might try surfing this board for past messages; otherwise someone will post it eventually. I'm not at my home machine, so I don't have it handy.

alright thanks

No...there is no vibration at all during idle. It always idles very very smooth. SO maybe i dont need to change them. Althought the car does have 100k on it. I put in a fram filter and it was a little bit longer than the old one, so maybe it was just an illusion.

look at the oil pan, and see if it is resting, or close to resting on the crossmember. That is a good indication if they are bad, or put the vcar on jacks and then jack the engine up a few inches to see if the mounts are broken! If they are like mine, when I pulled them out they came in 2 pieces! Also if you have any kind of power steering noise this could be an indication that the engine is resting on the power steering lines!

Back