Midwest Bash results ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
So how did it go ? I really wanted to attend but had already planned to attend Micah's wedding on the same weekend.

David

My trans was leaking oil like a faucet. I am letting the quicksteel harden as we speak. I wanted to go badly.

Hope there are pics and videos to be posted.

It was a good time. Dave D ran really good and so did some others. The real sleeper was a 13.3 black mark 8. Next year maybe we can time it so more people can show. Tim :D

MArk VIII

Tim i thought i saw that mark run a 13.03, could be wrong. That thing was so quiet doing a burnout and down the track, minus the slicks it looked stock. Somebody running a red SC had a halfshaft or something break, or at least I think it was damaged, Tim maybe you know more.
Phil

T-bird4vr said:
Ya me too, but I could hardly keep tranny oil from venting.

yea my trans is leaking a lot too all of the sudden too it never leaked before and i havent even been driving it. wish i could have gone too wanted to meet everyone.

I'm terrible with names but I'll get it figured out before posting pictures.

Rich's kid blew out the halfshaft in his 5 speed 94 or 95 on the 3rd attempt for a trophy. (I think he got second place with one of his first two slips)

Another good guy developed a lifter noise after his 2nd run and tabeled it for the night. It was a LX with a 5.0 swapped in to replace the original 3.8. He stopped by for some brats at the end of the night and reported something went way wrong on the way home after that and he limped home. He'll get her fixed for sure. He did win a trophy for one of his two runs that he made.

The Black Mark VIII was running a vortec blower bolted to a double overhead cam motor full of forged parts. He got the engine together about two weeks before the event (didn't even have wipers on it yet) and was having some electronic trans problems after 90mph. He'll just need to get that stuff worked out and he'll be hitting high 12's, no doubt.

Rich has all the numbers so I'm sure he'll give us the details when he has time. He had to get his son's car back on the road and he's got a killer 35th with a bone stock 3.8 ;) motor being bolted in. It was delivered at 1am on Saturday but clearance issues prevented it from hitting the track that day.

My car was fresh from a trans rebuild an developed an exhaust rattle that I didn't have time to track down as well as a crack in the radiator header tank that had me chicken out from running it on the track. 300+ miles from home had me scared.

Dave D had some balls though throwing down the gauntlet with his car so far from home. He cut such a solid light against a Subaru with a hot turbo that he was halfway down the track before the Subie guy could figure out what happened.

Oh, and it was hot. Track level temps were over 110, which makes for some hot air coming into most of the MN12 air boxes.

T-bird4vr said:
So here is money question, does a big block SC actually exist or what?

Julian,

I know it exist, because Kurt Kreisz told me that he and Andy Erickson went for a ride in it. But I am wondering if Rich brought it to the track or the dyno and if he did why isn't anyone talking about it.

David

Rich brought a big block (460) Thunderbird to the MN12 Nationals one year. I believe it was the 2nd Annual MN12 Nationals that was held in Indiana.

Thats the one that I saw back in Elkhart. He had tossed an ambulance 460 in it. I don't recall it being too fast since it was a stock low compression motor that came from the 70's when everything was down on power. It got me thinking though. It fits. So that means a 750 hp 514 stroker would also fit.....

Any how I believe Rich has one if not two other big block cars that have a lot stronger motors in them. I've never seen him bring one of them to an SCCoA event though, but from what I have been told they do exist. And whenever I get up to his neck of the woods I want a ride in one too. It will help motivate me to get mine done. Although $10,000 that I don't know what to do with would help motivate me even more. My project is on hold for now since money isn't flowing heavily around here right now.

Rich still has a mild BB car. Too bad the hood wouldn't close or I'd have gotten a ride in it finally! >: I really hope he can make it to the next shootout.

Here are my results:

435dynoa.jpg
Snow system is working excellent. :D

Phillio99 said:
Tim i thought i saw that mark run a 13.03, could be wrong. That thing was so quiet doing a burnout and down the track, minus the slicks it looked stock. Somebody running a red SC had a halfshaft or something break, or at least I think it was damaged, Tim maybe you know more.
Phil

Hey that Black Mark 8 is mine and it run 13.00 , 106.42 MPH
This was my first time at the track with the blower and I had some problems with transmission.
It was very nice to meet you guys at the midwest bash.

Here are a few pics.

I think Dave scared the driver with his launch.

leftindust.jpg

nicerun.jpg

Dave against the Mark VIII
davevsmark.jpg

Dave won
cleanwiin.jpg

The Mark VIII is in the left lane with a 13 flat. (not during timed runs for the awards though) I think a hopped up Nova or such was in the right lane.
13flatformark.jpg

Someone was sleepinig at the light.
beatatlight.jpg

Never did meet this guy in the Mark, he wasn't with our group I don't think.
MarkvsTbird.jpg

Last edited:
Scott Long said:
............ I want a ride in one too. It will help motivate me to get mine done. Although $10,000 that I don't know what to do with would help motivate me even more. My project is on hold for now since money isn't flowing heavily around here right now.

You want motivation?? When Dave got doen looking at my car at Carlisle this month, he took me for a quick ride in the XR-7. You want motivation? He didn't even let it all out and I'm still hyped about what to do next to my car!!

Yo Dave - that dyno result from Milwaukee - you're still holding back on us!! Air/Fuel of 13 at 5500?? And that's not even max rpms!!

Ira

Last edited:
irar said:
You want motivation?? When Dave got doen looking at my car at Carlisle this month, he took me for a quick ride in the XR-7. You want motivation? He didn't even let it all out and I'm still hyped about what to do next to my car!!

Yo Dave - that dyno result from Milwaukee - you're still holding back on us!! Air/Fuel of 13 at 5500?? And that's not even max rpms!!

Ira

With the alcohol injection you run a little leaner than normal. However, the WB used on the dyno was a tailpipe version and it was reading a little leaner than my WB said. My actual was more like 12.40.

I did pull out at 5500 because I did not want to walk home. I was also getting some spark blow out on the top end as you can see from the little dip at the end. There is more in it, but I'm going looking for it. I'm very satisfied with my results as is. The car ran extremely smooth at the track which is the whole reason for both the AR and the alcohol kit. It ran 12.1-12.5 ET's with such ease it was silly.

It is very easy for people to type away about how 450rwhp is just around the corner and how an 11 sec time slip is just right there, but the truth is that people are so stuck on numbers that they miss the whole point. This car is driveable, reliable and predictable. I drove to Milwaukee, I dyno'd, I raced, I goofed off on the street with it and then I came home. Simple. To me when I have to start putting it on the trailer and hauling it around then the fun is gone and there's no point in it. I enjoy driving the car and will not reduce it to a pure race car or trailer queen.

XR7 Dave said:
It is very easy for people to type away about how 450rwhp is just around the corner and how an 11 sec time slip is just right there, but the truth is that people are so stuck on numbers that they miss the whole point. This car is driveable, reliable and predictable. I drove to Milwaukee, I dyno'd, I raced, I goofed off on the street with it and then I came home. Simple. To me when I have to start putting it on the trailer and hauling it around then the fun is gone and there's no point in it. I enjoy driving the car and will not reduce it to a pure race car or trailer queen.
Just pulling your chain. ;) because that, my friend, was the point of the conversation we had, and you know I couldn't agree more. Like Gail said, if your not going to drive it, what's the point??

But there is a big difference between having something to drive, and having something that wants to be driven :D

Ira

Back