New radiator installed and problems.....HELP

mlbuxbaum

Got the new radiator from Spinning Wheels installed today (piece of cake job)(don't remove the intercooler like the Ford manual says) and all was fine with that till my ride home........stayed cool almost all the way home (1/2 hour). Then the car started getting hot, the needle went straight up, the fan kicked on and, then I smelled smoke, electrical smoke from under the hood. I pull over and looked and my fan motor wires are melting :mad: I wasn't too shocked at this because months ago I cut out the factory plug that was corroded beyond repair and just put spade connectors on the wires and called it a day, but today when I went to re-hook the fan up I was not sure what wire went where. So......can some one look at their fan connector and tell me what color wires on the fan go to what color wires comming from the ICM. I need to get this fixed asap...its my families only mode of transportation right now.

I've got a 93. Mine are :

Black
Brown/Orange
Brown/Yellow

Then after the plug going to the ICM

Black
Brown/Orange
Blue

Hope this helps

Standard crimp on spade connectors will not conduct electricity nor have sufficient capacity for the load that will be pulled through them. Make sure you have connectors of sufficient gauge for the wire involved. Yellow or Orange I think is the larger color.

Oh yeah, a crimped connection may not support the load sufficiently. You may need to solder those connectors on rather than expect just the crimp to carry the load.

Last edited:
Fixed it. I had the wires hooked up wrong. Corrected my stupid wiring mistake, and temp fixed the blown fusible link. Let the car idle for 45 minutes and all was good. Gauge never even got to the "N" Temp stayed low and fan kicked on when it should have. I'm still going to take the fan apart and replace the melted wiring, just to be on the safe side.As a side note, I took some voltage readings across the ECT coolant temp sensor, I wrote them down, but left it in the car. It was interesting to watch the voltage fall, fan kick on, voltage go up, fan cut off, voltage fall, etc, etc. It was very accurate and predictable as to when everything happened.

Back