stereo experts... need help

rhodes588

Alright... im planning on keeping the stock inside speakers (5x7's). I want to get rid of the stock subwoofer in the trunk, and put it 2 12" subwoofers with an amp that I'm getting from a friend for $100 bucks. What is exactly involved with hooking these up, what do I take off, what do I put it and where? What electronics devices are on the amp rack? Does that amp rack need to be removed? What type of cables should I run? What cables do I need? What needs to be connected to the actual cd deck and where? What needs to be disconnected? I need the whole entire speal.. since I am pretty much retarded when it comes to hooking up subwoofers. Thanks,

Kyle

are you going to use the original stereo is the first question. if you are then if it does not have sub outputs then you willhave to splice into the rear speaker wires that run your rear speakers. then run the wires to your amp and turn the bypass allthe way down so that only the lowest sound comes out of them. by lowes I mean low bass wise not sound wise. if you have an aftermarket head unit then all you probably have to do is to run a set of rca cables to your imputs on your amp and then tune your amp. cable wise I have found that buying an amp hock up kit is cheaper that trying to piece toghether a kit , especially if this is your first install or as you said you are not adapt at this sort of thing. We just put two 10's in a 90 of my friends and we had to cut that shelf so I would measure and make sure that they will fit what we did was to take the the equipment off of the shelf and kiptie it to the rear seat support and then put the subs in. I nknow that this is not a very good explination but if you have any more questions just write me and I will try to help.

I have an aftermarket stereo... and yes I have the RCA cables. Where do i go for grounds and power sources? Where in Indiana are you located?

If you have a aftermarket cd player, buy a amp hook up kit(if your amp is 350 or less get 8 guage wire kit, anything more get 4 guage),you run your positive power (make sure you run an inline fuse no more than 3 feet from your battery)from your battery, run it through your car underneath the panels on the floor to your trunk, plug the rcas into the preamp outputs on the back of your cd player, and connect your remote amp turnon wire to you harness in the correct spot(should be blue), then run the rca's and remote wire underneath the panels on opposite sides(so you wont get interference). Then ground your ground wire in your trunk behind a bolt, make sure you scratch the paint off so you get a good ground, then hook it all up into your amp, and run your sub wires off of the amp.

sounds like geevaaa9112 has laid it out pretty well for you. to get the power cable into your car we ran it through one of the rubber boots in your firewall. there is one right behind the glove compartment that is a little hard to get to but hides the cable rather well that i alwas use on a t bird install. also I would look at bridging your amp, you lose the stereo but who cares your going for thump. what you so is look at your amp there should be a swith on it that says stereo mono of bridge swithch it to bridge. this makes it one channel going out to the subs it will make your subs hit harder because your amp is not spliting the power into two seperate channels anymore. other than that hock it up just as 9112 said. a good ground spot is one of the bolts that holds on your tail lamps to the body. I live in cedar grove Indiana, its about 30 min from downtown cincinnati oh. good luck bud hope it pounds for ya. if you need amy more help you can email me at inmacs2@MSN .COM .

Run the positive cable throught the rubber grommet in the firewall or dril a new hole with a titanium step bit. be sure that you insert a rubber grommet in the new hole or you may wear off the insulation on the power cable and short it. depending on your setup you may want to dynamat the trunk. I had 153 db in my last sc on a 15" quad voice coil sub and a planet audio 2250d amp at around .8 ohms with an optima red top in the back with an isolater kit for charging so the headlights wouldn't dim as the cylinder caps are poop. All the wires should be able to fit under your door sills.

Back