Factory tranny cooler is a joke !!!! I need a B&M

mlbuxbaum

Hey everyone,
I recently replaced my radiator and decided to see what the factory tranny cooler looked like. I broke out my air saw and cut the bottom off the old radiator and :eek: :eek: :eek: What were the engineers at Ford thinking????? I'll post the pictures tonight. Please everyone be sitting down when you view them. It's pathetic. I also took pictures of how much fluid it holds at one time. I figure its about 1.5 to 2.5 ounces TOPS !!Anyway.....needless to say I'm going to add a REAL tranny cooler (with a fan later on) ( no wonder our AOD has so many heat related breakdown issues) and found a B&M on Summit for $50 but I don't know if it is worthy. Part # is BMM-70264. Some one let me know asap.

I used that same cooler in conjunction with the factory cooler when I had a 12" stock stall non locking converter and it worked well. I mounted mine on the support channel in front of the AC condensor.

When I upgraded to a 9.5" 2700 stall non locking converter, I bought a second one of the same cooler and bolted the pair back to back and added a cooling fan, and moved the coolers to the area under the battery. I'm still using that setup.

David

mlbuxbaum said:
It's pathetic. I also took pictures of how much fluid it holds at one time. I figure its about 1.5 to 2.5 ounces TOPS
I noticed that as well when I started cleaning out my replacement radiator. I blew into the line with a rubber hose and it spurted out maybe 1 tablespoon of trans fluid. I was surprised about how little was in there. :confused:

TbirdSCFan said:
I noticed that as well when I started cleaning out my replacement radiator. I blew into the line with a rubber hose and it spurted out maybe 1 tablespoon of trans fluid. I was surprised about how little was in there. :confused:

I saw these on ebay, are they any good?

Attachments

• 15COOLER.jpg
    15COOLER.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 108
that looks about the same size as the factory cooler with fins on it. Sorry I didn't get to post pictures last night, at the last minute my Dad got Orioles vs Yankee game tickets. Awesome game......we won, bottom of the 10th with a 1st pitch home run

Pictures Finally

Here it is, in all its glory......like I said it's a joke. Tha's a standard Bic pen next to it for a size reference

Last edited:
Would the cooler cool any better if it was bigger or more gucci, probly not, it's still in a rad thats too small.

Back