OEM Premium Sound Deck

XR7

Good Day,

I can not even begin to tell you the story, of what I have gone through to get a factory deck for my 1989 Cougar XR7 with Premium Sound.

Bottom Line I have a Premium/JBL Deck out of a 1991 Tunderbird, that is in very very good shape that I bought off e-bay.

It is not working for me.. So anyone willing to trade a like condition Deck out of a 1989 Cougar XR7 with Premium Sound (NOT JBL) I will be happy to trade even up with you.. even I will pay shipping both ways..

Radio problems?

XR7 said:
Good Day,

I can not even begin to tell you the story, of what I have gone through to get a factory deck for my 1989 Cougar XR7 with Premium Sound.

Bottom Line I have a Premium/JBL Deck out of a 1991 Tunderbird, that is in very very good shape that I bought off e-bay.

It is not working for me.. So anyone willing to trade a like condition Deck out of a 1989 Cougar XR7 with Premium Sound (NOT JBL) I will be happy to trade even up with you.. even I will pay shipping both ways..
Go into the audio section and contact Paul Protos, he will tell you how to test it to see if it is the unit or a wiring/install problem. As we speak he is helping me with mine. He has rebuilt many of our units and all were satisfied. cheers Frank H. urhmmm, sorry, try this polyscroll@hotmail.com he's good at it.

Last edited:
Thanks Frank, I appreciate the input.

However the Stereo that I currently have (Bought off eBay) is in nearly new condition.

The Problem I am having it that the stereo is a JBL unit. I do not have JBL only premium sound.

This is why I am looking to swap with someone.

White Lightning said:
Go into the audio section and contact Paul Protos, he will tell you how to test it to see if it is the unit or a wiring/install problem. As we speak he is helping me with mine. He has rebuilt many of our units and all were satisfied. cheers Frank H. urhmmm, sorry, try this polyscroll@hotmail.com he's good at it.

Same problem, different solution........!

Karl, try him anyway, he just might be the guy you need to swap radio's with, he repairs them and might have what you need on hand?!? cheers, W.L

Thanks Frank,

Maybe he will chime in here on this one.. But I believe I have asked him already about premium sounds and if I recall correct. He stated to me that he does not mess with the premium.. Only the JBL..

White Lightning said:
Karl, try him anyway, he just might be the guy you need to swap radio's with, he repairs them and might have what you need on hand?!? cheers, W.L

XR7 said:
Thanks Frank,

Maybe he will chime in here on this one.. But I believe I have asked him already about premium sounds and if I recall correct. He stated to me that he does not mess with the premium.. Only the JBL..

Hello again Karl,

I'm chiming in......hopefully to clarify things a little.

I do take care of the "Premium Sound" AND "JBL" radios from '88 to '93 Ford Vehicles. Specifically the ones with the "Paddle" style volume control in the upper left hand corner of the face plate.

Actually, there is absolutely NO difference between what is called Premium Sound and what is called JBL as far as the radio is concerned.

The difference between the two audio options lies strictly with the amplifiers, speakers, and the addition of a sub-woofer with the JBL option. Both options use the same radio.

The only difference in the radios is whether they have the internal circuitry to work with a factory CD Player or not and whether they have a built in clock or not. Radios built for Thunderbirds & Cougars from '89-'93 have a built-in clock. Radios made for others such as Taurus, Lincolns, and others don't have the built-in clock circuit because some of those cars have a separate clock elsewhere in the dash.

I scanned back through my old emails and found our correspondences and found that the radio you purchased off of eBay was a later model of a different type. That particular model uses a lower voltage "amp turn-on" signal than what your current Premium Sound amp needs, so, it will not turn on your factory amp when you turn the radio on. It can be made to work by switching a couple of wires in the main power connector that feeds the back of the radio. This appears to be what I told you a while back.

I'm not sure what radio(s) you have now but I am always willing to help others out. If you can tell me the Ford Part Numbers of the radios you have now, or, post some pictures of them, that would be a good start. Also, please verify that all of the factory amps, plugs, and wiring are intact and connected properly in the trunk. Lastly, if you DO NOT have the factory CD Player installed, check to see if there is a what looks like a dummy plug plugged into the upper right hand connector socket looking at the back of each radio. This dummy plug actually bypasses the need to have a CD Player connected in the later style radios.

I'm sure you'll get the issue solved.

Regards, Paul

radio swap

i have a good premium radio that i got out of a 1990 cougar ls. my 92 tbird has the jbl system in it. so i am in the opposite position as you. so im not sure what to do. I can't find any numbers on it,but when i plug it into my system the sub sounds like it is barley on. i pulled it out to check it figuring that it was bad,but it was in good shape. i currantly have a stereo from a 95 tbird in it with bypasses for everything else. the wiring that i need to do this is a mess. i would much rather havr the right radio in it. i live in neenah wi. your im mn? im trying to get my sons didgital camera so i can get some pictures for you. on the back it has all of the plug ins on it. the volumn has the paddle type. yes it has the clock in it to. as far as i can tell everything on it works. my email address is schmalzm@sbcglobal.net

Last edited:
want one

i need a factory radio that works .it did have the cassate and the doors say jbl on them (you tell me)

Posting this mainly for Paul to see..

Paul this is the radio that I recently purchased from ebay.. and the one I was looking to trade in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5782823379

also what I found out with this radio is that I was unable to see the clock, however when I set the clock it has been functioning correctly ever since.. so that may have been my mistake..

Thanks to everyone for the input..

XR7 said:
Posting this mainly for Paul to see..

Paul this is the radio that I recently purchased from ebay.. and the one I was looking to trade in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5782823379

also what I found out with this radio is that I was unable to see the clock, however when I set the clock it has been functioning correctly ever since.. so that may have been my mistake..

Thanks to everyone for the input..

Wow, you got a great deal on that one Karl! :)

Yep!!

Yep it was a good deal.. only thing so far I can see that's wrong is that the volume paddle is a little flaky on the up volume.. down volume works pretty good..

Karl

TwoTimeSC said:
Wow, you got a great deal on that one Karl! :)

Back