need some help please

94SCblack5speed

The car died all of a sudden and would not start after that.
New battery, starter and crank sensor. Checked and cleaned every connection from battery to starter and grounds. The car will still not start. Before it sounded like the the starter was turning but aint have enough power to get the engine turning so i thought this was becasue of the dead battery but with new battery same problem. Ive checked for a short and cant find one. The only other detail is that when you try to start the car even once the battery cables get very hot and even smoke a little. This means the problems has to be electrical right?Just looking for some suggestions (ignition switch?, DIS?)

Here's a stupid question...

Are the battery cables hooked to the correct terminals? (I had to ask)
Actually, it sounds like the starter relay is fried. I'm not sure about the location on a '94SC, but on my '92 it's on the driver's side fenderwell between the battery and the main power buss (fuse box). If the relay is stuck, the car will act like the battery is dead.

yea they cables are hooked up right. The car is not acting like the battery is dead. It seems like an electrical connection is meesed up somewhere. I just went over every connection and made sure the starter was still working. Still the same thing starter acts like it it working and the cables get real hot.

Can you turn the engine by hand? That is by taking a socket to the main HB bolt and then pulling with a normal ratchet? You should be able to turn it rather easily. That is to say, it should only take about 50 lbs of torque, give or take 10 lbs.

If the motor is locked up (won't turn over by hand) then the battery cables will get hot enough to smoke when you try starting it.

David

Back