Fail with age or mileage ?

HHHthegame

Ok, this has only happend twice, but it's enough to drive me nuts and cause panic. When you put the car into reverse, the idle drops from 900 to 500, and twice it has died. Could this be the dreaded motor mounts doing this? Do motor mounts fail with time or mileage? I ask because the car only has 59K miles on it. The same question for the Harmonic Balancer? Do they fail with age (years) or mileage? Austin

Yes

The answer to the 1st question would be yes. You may have under 60K miles, but that added with time can create the need for mount replacement. Mine did the same thing, but not just reverse, but other gears as well. And, idling in gear in town it seemed to idle rough and sometimes would stall. I replaced the mounts and all was good to go.

To the 2nd question, I've got my original HB and it's fine with 11 years old and 99K miles. You never know with the HB. At least with the mounts you can count on them to go at some point.

Take care.

The mounts can deteriorate quickly in dry climates and from a heavy foot. I've had 2 MN12s in New Mexico where it's very dry and the stock hydraulic mounts were toast with low miles on both of them. I had the same idle symptoms. There's a way you can tell if they're shot by seeing if the oil pan sits below the crossmember. I replaced with the solid rubber mounts and all the idle and rough running went away.

Back