Halfshaft questions?

SilverBullitt

I recently broke my right passenger(fat)halfshaft at the CV joint closest to the differential. I picked one up from a used auto parts store...I got it out of another sc that was wrecked...I installed it...It drove fine until I got to about 30mph and not even barely pushing the gas it broke in the same place...could this be the luck of the draw thatI got a bad replacement or maybe something else wrong? The car will still drive under its own power with the left side still...so it cant be the differential because it wouldn't have moved when I first put the replacement on...so what could I have done wrong or was the replacement bad? If I get another...how can I check to make sure the CV joint is good on the next one if the boot is perfect on it? Do I remove it? what do I check for? Thanks for any help.

I don't know if you checked yet, but you might want to take a look at the rear diff cover and make sure it isn't cracked/broken. When my halfshaft broke, I didn't even notice that the rear diff cover was broken until after I had already put a new halfshaft in.

broken%20rear%20end.jpg

If the rear diff cover is broken, the centersection will torque over under load, seperating halfshafts at the CV joint almost immediately.

-Rod

racecougar said:
I don't know if you checked yet, but you might want to take a look at the rear diff cover and make sure it isn't cracked/broken. When my halfshaft broke, I didn't even notice that the rear diff cover was broken until after I had already put a new halfshaft in.

broken%20rear%20end.jpg

If the rear diff cover is broken, the centersection will torque over under load, seperating halfshafts at the CV joint almost immediately.

-Rod

THe bad part was that mine broke and I was at less than 1500 rpms slowly coasting up to speed to make sure everything was smooth before I got on it and it broke in 2nd gear at 1500rpms with no load just coasting at around 15-20 mph...Kinda odd but nonetheless, I must fix it again...

Check the hub, it can be bad also and cause the shaft to break. Try to get a hub and shaft that go together so that the teeth fit nice and tight. Any rounded teeth or wear with just cause the shaft to break again in time.

SilverBullitt said:
THe bad part was that mine broke and I was at less than 1500 rpms slowly coasting up to speed to make sure everything was smooth before I got on it and it broke in 2nd gear at 1500rpms with no load just coasting at around 15-20 mph...Kinda odd but nonetheless, I must fix it again...

Just putting the car in gear is enough to torque the centersection over if the rear cover is broken.

-Rod

racecougar said:
Just putting the car in gear is enough to torque the centersection over if the rear cover is broken.

-Rod

Turns out one of the three bearings in the cv jont were bad on that replacement halfshaft...hub was good and so was the diff cover...but I did find out the other side on the rear has a bad bearing...replacing that hub today.

well, I replaced the hub and halfshaft again on that side and boom...broke it again down the road...I cant tell if my diff cover is broken...I will have to remove it I guess...any other ideas what it could be

I'd try this:

Lay on the ground behind the car so that you can watch the centersection and halfshafts. Have a helper get in the car, start it up, and put it into drive while keeping his/her foot on the brake. If everything looks ok, try having them tap the throttle a couple times while in gear and holding the brake.

Just make sure you trust your helper. Don't use anyone that might want to back the car over you. :p

If everything looks ok, I don't know what to tell you.

-Rod

racecougar said:
I'd try this:

Lay on the ground behind the car so that you can watch the centersection and halfshafts. Have a helper get in the car, start it up, and put it into drive while keeping his/her foot on the brake. If everything looks ok, try having them tap the throttle a couple times while in gear and holding the brake.

Just make sure you trust your helper. Don't use anyone that might want to back the car over you. :p

If everything looks ok, I don't know what to tell you.

-Rod
I jacked up the back end of the car with the rear wheels off the ground and reved up the motor to 90 mph a few times the last time I put the half shafts on and it looked fine...I am going to just replace the whole back end...new diff, half-shafts, pinion brace, bushings, etc...I want it to be strong

Back