Anyone ever use holley projection on a 302?

Holley ProJection is a throttle body style add-on fuel injection system.

My vote would be for retrofitting a factory SEFI system instead, when you consider the widespread availability of parts, tuning ability, and cost. That's why a 90 Mustang EFI system resides under the hood of my 68 Cougar. :D

cheers
Ed N.

Well this is a 1969 Mustang coupe I got for the wife yeaterday. And MAN IS SHE EXCITED.

She will be semi-daily driving it, so I was curious if anyone knew about it.

I don't want to add all of the extra stuff onto the engine for factory type EFI, I still want an ole air clearner so it looks like an ole car when I opedn the ole hood ;)

The carb looks like it could use a rebuild, and the engine smells like its rich...

I am thinking of replacing the carb with a 390 CFM 4 bbl, I was told the current carb is an older street/strip 600 CFM 4160 on it now. Or perhaps a 2bbl... But my understanding is that the 4bbl will get better mileage, so long as you don't get into the secondaries too much...

I was just curious about the pro-jection for ease of use for the ole lady, and not having to worry about keeping started when cold, etc etc...

I am thinking of fuel economy here, my "ole lady" drives like an "old lady" so she won't be concerned about lack of performance.

This all started casue we were looking at something to reduce gas costs for the expedition, and keep miles of of it, as we still owe over 2 years on it. It kinda transformed into a 69 Stang with power overything, and A/C... Which is why she fell in love with this one.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Holley ProJection

I have experiance with the original Holley 2 bbl Pro Jection, 4 bbl 4DI and 4 bbl commander 950.

They all work well as intended and all have thier short comings.

Projection was a 2 bbl unit with huge drain pipes for venturies. The fuel map was adjusted by three ajustment pots. One for Idle, Mid range and WOT. Was a good system out of the box, but the close loop kit (O2 Sensor) made it better.

4DI is a 4 bbl unit, this was the first programable unit. Used a lap top PC to make changes. You recieved a selection of fuel maps on the floppy disk and you selected the one that was closest to your engine. Changes to the fuel map were accomplished by watching the (real time) sensor readings or the data logger and making changes to the fuel map. The only negative thing I found was that when you uploaded the changes to the CPU, the engine would shut off. Obviously, this necessatated pulling over before you made the upload.
Good power, fuel milage and emmissions could be had if you took your time.

Commander 950 was an improvment in that you could up load with out killing the engine. Same sensor output screen and data logger. A lot nicer unit.

If you like to tinker, these are neat. There are other companies that make CPUs to work with the throttle body and are said to be better. I have no experiance with any of them.

Using the projection give you the "vintage" carb look with the advantages of injection.

All units were easy to install, stand alone and delievered good service.

Doug

Last edited:
Do you think mileage is reduced by using this system?

At todays prices, it looks like it may be worth it...

It would be nice to have this unit, so if we wanted to go run it once in a great while at the dragstrip the unit could be loaded with the "power tune" for the night...

Thanks!

I found in my case, (351w had carter AFB) each time I changed models (2 bbl to 4di to Commander 950) because I had more control over the fuel maps, the milage and power improved.

Because the throttle body is not as efficient as the port injection, it won't be quite as good.

2bbl projection

I had an "85" Tbird (anniversary model) w/306 Ported D8 heads and a comp 270 mag cam w/aod. I put the 2bbl projection on it because I did not want to use a carb and the original throd body which was std that year was WAY too small. I had the closed loop kit but never got around to hooking it up. I liked it better than a carb setup, but didnt drive it enough to make any meaningful comparisons.

I had the 88 Ltr in tank pump which was not quite enough----I suspect. If I remember correctly, the projection does not require the fuel pressure that the regular injection systems require. Again, I think it required about the same as a carburator---maybe a little more. You will have to put an adjustable (mallory?) regulator on the tank feed line and route the overflow back through the tank return line. Easily do-able, not rocket science. Sounds like the updated 4bbl versions are better. Rather than the expense of the projection, I would look for a donor for a factory setup (MAF).

If you want to improve cold weather starts, you might consider an MSD 6 series and trigger it from either the points or a magnetic pickup from a later ford distributor (they can be retrofitted). I found one problem w/MSD is they will fool you about the adjustments on a carb sometimes. They will fire just about any mixture, which "aint" necessarily a good thing! Anyway, hope this small tidbit helped some.
YB

yardbird said:
I had an "85" Tbird (anniversary model) w/306 Ported D8 heads and a comp 270 mag cam w/aod. I put the 2bbl projection on it because I did not want to use a carb and the original throd body which was std that year was WAY too small. I had the closed loop kit but never got around to hooking it up. I liked it better than a carb setup, but didnt drive it enough to make any meaningful comparisons.

I had the 88 Ltr in tank pump which was not quite enough----I suspect. If I remember correctly, the projection does not require the fuel pressure that the regular injection systems require. Again, I think it required about the same as a carburator---maybe a little more. You will have to put an adjustable (mallory?) regulator on the tank feed line and route the overflow back through the tank return line. Easily do-able, not rocket science. Sounds like the updated 4bbl versions are better. Rather than the expense of the projection, I would look for a donor for a factory setup (MAF).

If you want to improve cold weather starts, you might consider an MSD 6 series and trigger it from either the points or a magnetic pickup from a later ford distributor (they can be retrofitted). I found one problem w/MSD is they will fool you about the adjustments on a carb sometimes. They will fire just about any mixture, which "aint" necessarily a good thing! Anyway, hope this small tidbit helped some.
YB

Thanks!

What woudl be te difference in the MSD 5 and 6 series?
The summit catalog only says 6 is for steer/strip, and 5 is for daily driver??

Thanks!

MSD's

I think the 6 series will fire the spark more times than the 5 series (Im pretty sure that 6 does not mean 6 sparks). Somewhere I recall seeing a chart with the specs. MSD units will fire a given number of sparks at different rpm levels. I dont recall the figures,but I think that lower rpm's get the most sparks. At some point, as rpm goes up, the spark frequency goes down. I chose the 6 series w/a plug for the rpm limiting "chips". These chips (actually small plugs) will randomly drop spark from cylinders so that no one cylinder gets totally killed at your reference rpm. Works smooth, no backfiring etc. I ran up against the limiter numerous times with no damage. The 5 series might be sufficient for you, I just cannot claim to be enough of an expert to make that call.
I can say that I saw my brothers 400 bronce (79) with a long overlap cam and the really crappy 4100 series ford carb, become managable on cold starts (even in Florida!)with the addition of an MSD 6. He ultimately went with the holly projection as well, only he hooked up the closed loop kit. This is why I suggested the MSD, or even some other really hot ignition for your car if you keep the carb. It would be cheaper than a new FI system for the present, or while you are rounding up parts. MSD may work well enough for you to keep the carb.
PM me, I may have an MSD laying around that I can make you a "race horse" deal on!

YB

Back