Code 562 (& 118)...wtf!

pipecraze

I have a 94 SC auto. I'm having problems with the fan not coming on at high temps. Fan does works however during KOEO test!!!

I recently replaced the IRCM from ford and the ECT from autozone. Still no fan operation at high temps and I have codes 562 and 118 (code 562 isn't even in my haynes man). Wiggled all wires and still nothing.

I haven't tried erasing the codes yet. I'll try tonight. Could that really be all I need to do??? In the meantime can anyone offer sugestions on what the problem might be. If not that... I'm hoping my computer isn't the problem!

When I went to autozone they had the wrong ECT listed for the 94. They wound up giving me the ECT listed for a 93 tbird. It looks identical to the one in my 94sc... Are these ECT's all the same?

Thanks!!!

I'll look up those codes tonight, but if I'm not mistaken 562 is one of those silly codes (like you didn't turn off the a/c during the test or your parking brake wasn't set). Anyways have you checked the basics, because these fans are 2 speed, so one speed might come on during the KOEO test but the other winding may still be bad. When you say it's not coming on at high temp, maybe the IRCM has switched over to the high speed fan, but that winding is bad. Have you also checked the big fuses in the hood fuse box - because 94/95 are fused thru this board versus 89-93 which had a fusible link. The reason I say this is because that's what happened on my '94 and the high speed fuse fried pretty bad when the high speed winding burnt out. So check both fan fuses under the hood while you're at it. When I replaced my fan I had to bypass the fuse box and use a fusible link.

Ok, I got rid if the code 118. The fan does come after the car heats up. I'm not sure if its the high or the low though. How can I tell for sure?

I still have the 562. In my scanner book it says 562... auxilary electro drive fan circut failure. This car had a intercooler fan put in. I found a toggle switch that when flipped operates the fan by the ac condensor and the intercooler fan. When fliped the other way it operates just the intercooler fan. So I assume that 562 code has nothing to do with my radiator fan.

Should my radiator fan come on when the key is on engine off? Right now it's not on. It will come on when I switch the ac on.

Thanks!

Joisey Jim said:
I'll look up those codes tonight, but if I'm not mistaken 562 is one of those silly codes (like you didn't turn off the a/c during the test or your parking brake wasn't set). Anyways have you checked the basics, because these fans are 2 speed, so one speed might come on during the KOEO test but the other winding may still be bad. When you say it's not coming on at high temp, maybe the IRCM has switched over to the high speed fan, but that winding is bad. Have you also checked the big fuses in the hood fuse box - because 94/95 are fused thru this board versus 89-93 which had a fusible link. The reason I say this is because that's what happened on my '94 and the high speed fuse fried pretty bad when the high speed winding burnt out. So check both fan fuses under the hood while you're at it. When I replaced my fan I had to bypass the fuse box and use a fusible link.

118 I believe is the temperature sensor 'out of range' - so if it comes back again you might try just replacing the sensor. Yes I think the 562 only applies to 94/95 models with the auxillary pusher fan up front. Sounds like the toggle switch that the previous owner put in triggers a fault when falsely activating that circuit. You can search several articles about our darn fan set ups; but they don't come on (low speed) unless the temp has exceeded like 220deg or you put the a/c on. And even then the low turns off once you reach like 48mph highway speed, unless the overall temp has exceeded the 220deg. The low then stops once the temp has dropped to 214deg. The high speed comes on if the low can't control the temp and starts at 228deg (off at 220deg). The aux fan is supposed to come on above 228deg (hence not many people ever see it running).

562 is probably the pusher fan fuse or the fan itself is bad. My 95 would pop the fuse and the code would come up. It turned out that the fuse would blow because the magnet for the fan motor came apart and killed it.

Back