IC kits

ThePikey

I was wondering if anyone out there actually made a Front Mount IC kit for our cars, and if so, how much do they run....

only reason im asking is that in the near and over 100 degree heat weve been having lately around St.Louis, i was thinking about doing a FMIC and then putting in a normal sized radiator to help cool the motor since it has been running between the M in 'norm' and the red box

They have alot of guys here that make their own custom FMIC's. The only company that makes them as a kit is Magnum Powers. I got mine from Victor at spinningwheels for about $1200. I opted for the Spal pusher fan as well but im not sure how much extra that was.

From my understanding with the FMIC installed it is so large that it blocks a good portion of air before the air hits the radiator. With a relatively small wedge of a front end, a few people I have talked to say even going with a full size aluminum radiator with a puller and pusher fan the motor still hits 200-220.

If you are having cooling issues, I would look at the radiator inside first. I replaced my stock radiator when I did my build up. I took a look inside my old radiator and it was just clogged. I now know why my car was running warmer than usual! The new radiator (stock size) keeps my car a lot cooler than the old clogged one.

I have my low speed fan always running now (switched) and the high speed fan on a separate switch incase it ever gets warm or I am at the track. Before I replaced my radiator I would see NO in NORM with the fan running in low speed. Usually it would sit on left side of the N in norm. When having fun it would go to O. Now with a new radiator, and the fan constantly running in low speed mode it sits between the cold line and the N, I have seen it ONCE get to N on a long hill when I was on it. This is with a 180 T-stat, and the temps were 90-100 when taking these “scientific” measurements. There again, we all know how great the stock gauges can be. :rolleyes: One more thing to note, I was running the stock pulley on the waterpump when the car was getting hot, and now I am running the underdrive set. So take it for what it is worth.

IMO, I would not look at the FMIC + full size radiator to cure your increased temperature problems. Might want to look into your radiator if it is a few years old and has not been flushed yearly. Also the deposits on the inside of the radiator appear transparent until dried. A good coolant flush might help, I have been skeptical to do this on these cars (a full system). Might want to ask what other people think of doing a full system. I just flush the radiator.

I have been looking at a FMIC for the ability to work easier on my engine but the cost and added cooling issues have made me think twice. I am very curious about getting the Snow Performance Alcohol Injection for when running at the track and playing on the street. Then perhaps making some custom tubes to the stock IC that are easier to take off and on. At this point this is all speculation due to finances. :(

I didnt really think about the radiator possibly being clogged, cuz most likely its the orginal... As far as flushing it... ill try that at work (i work for one of the really overpriced quicklubes) although temps are supposed to be cooling off a bit for the weekend....

though a new radiator isnt that expensive... i may just do that anyway betting on the fact that its most likely the orginal and therefore 15 years old...

sadly that isnt the least of my concearns right now. im dealing with some nasty vibration when im on the highway.... (though easy cure would be to just not drive on the highway)
i dropped a car at a local shop and they are thinking wheels out of balance...

yes coolant was full, fan was running... but sitting in rush hour traffic when its 100+ outside it what was causing it....

since i opened this post i have changed jobs and no longer have to sit in rush hour traffic on major highways... (not to mention the bird has been parked for 3 weeks or so due to other problems and lack of money)

now that the route i drive to work is a constant drive (some stop and go) but always moving.... its running normal again

Back